Severe lice infestation, what are my best options?

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I’ve been dealing with a severe lice infestation for over a month now. I’ve sprayed all over my pens and dusted my birds with permethrin spray and dust every week for a month now and they just keep coming back. Mostly see them all over the nesting boxes, only takes a day for them to reappear. Honestly I spray more than just once a week but I’m still having a serious problem with them. My birds are having some feather loss on their neck, back and wings. I’m just not sure what else to do. My birds have access to the ground and take dust baths often, also I added permethrin dust and DE to the dust bathing areas and my pens are bird proof with bird netting as well.
I just can’t get rid of them, are there any other affective options?

Here’s some pictures of what I’m using.

Attachments

• 8CBDB27F-E9A0-487F-A17E-F9DDA8EF449D.jpeg
    8CBDB27F-E9A0-487F-A17E-F9DDA8EF449D.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 7FD1847E-B17C-43A8-8370-96C149A8716E.png
    7FD1847E-B17C-43A8-8370-96C149A8716E.png
    813.5 KB · Views: 13
Any progress? Did you replace the bedding during treatment? I’m also dealing with feather lice, but it’s a more mild infestation. I’ve tried permethrin and ivermectin so far and they haven’t worked. I might try Elector PSP next.

Any progress? Did you replace the bedding during treatment? I’m also dealing with feather lice, but it’s a more mild infestation. I’ve tried permethrin and ivermectin so far and they haven’t worked. I might try Elector PSP next.
Permethrin is not working for me, I’ve completely removed the bedding in my boxes for now because the lice are so severe, I’ve been going at it with the permethrin for 2 months now, with little progress. I’m going to try Elector PSP also hopefully I will have more luck.
Do you know the best place to buy Elector PSP from?

Permethrin is not working for me, I’ve completely removed the bedding in my boxes for now because the lice are so severe, I’ve been going at it with the permethrin for 2 months now, with little progress. I’m going to try Elector PSP also hopefully I will have more luck.
Do you know the best place to buy Elector PSP from?
I’ve been having trouble finding it too, Elector PSP seems to always be out of stock. However, I do think you can order it online.

I’ve been having trouble finding it too, Elector PSP seems to always be out of stock. However, I do think you can order it online.
I found someone selling it on eBay in small quantities, literally the only place I could find that had it. Hopefully it works out because I just bought enough to make 2 gallons.

Just found lice on mine and wanted to hear how yours are doing and what was effectove for you and yours.

Thanks and hope everyone is better!
The Elector PSP worked! The permethrin dust helped a lot for putting it on surfaces like on top and in the nesting boxes, where I was seeing them the most.
I also filled in the cracks in the wood of my nesting boxes with caulk, I think that’s where they were mostly hiding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom