Sex ID on BO and Light Brahma

HippieHomesteader

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Stuart, VA
I have 16 "pullets," but of course there's a few I'm not so sure about... Here's my two suspects. Both are nearly 5 weeks old. Any input is appreciated!!

Suspect A is a chick I picked to give to my MIL. "She" feathered at about the same rate as everyone else, and her personality is not any different. But her comb just started to get noticably larger, and now it's getting a little pink.
SuspectA.jpg

Lydia is one of my favorite chicks, of course. She is very inquisitive and bold, and she's also the tiniest of all my girls. She doesn't always stand like she is in the photos, only when I have treats or the camera.
LydiaCollage.jpg

Lydia looks like a cockerel to me. The males tend to have a much more yellow beak than the females do.

ETA photos for explanation:
500392410_4570b9697b.jpg

light%20brahma%20rooster%20(p)%20copy.jpg

This is just a generalization, not 100%.

Last edited:
Well, poo. I don't really want a rooster, but I guess I get what I get.
tongue.png

It is normal for a cockerel to be so much smaller than his contemporaries? My main reason for suspecting "Lydia" is the reddening of the comb - she's smaller in body size, and has a similar personality to another of my brahmas. Also, I went back out and checked, and all of them have about the same amount of black v. yellow on their beak as Lydia.

I don't really mind having a rooster, but I don't want to change this kid's name!!! I really like it!
sad.png

Thanks for the info, and hopefully more people will weigh in on the subject!

I can't tell..I have four of my own Lt. Brahma's that are 7 wks old and I haven't a clue. I do know they are very hard to catch when you want them to go back into their baby pen and they want to stay out in the big girl's area
smile.png
Beautiful birds
smile.png
I'm hoping for at least one pullet. For you, I hope Lydia is a girl.

UPDATE: Well, as it turns out, Lydia is, indeed, Lydia. She laid her first egg today!

And the BO is... well, my MIL has a beautiful young rooster we call "Turd Bird." He started crowing at about 15 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom