Sex of two Pekin ducks

@cheezenkwackers didn't you think Niles sounded a lot like Daphne?
I heard a quack towards the end but I thought it was from Daphne? You might be right though. I know my two 4 week old ducklings are girls. One is sex-linked and one has been making girl sounds since she was two weeks old (she also has two-toned feathers coming in above her tail). But, they still sound very similar to these. The lighter, lavender duckling in the back, just started her voice change in the last day. Most of the time she still peeps.

@Launchpad was Daphne making noise at the same time Niles was? just want to make sure we were hearing both ducklings.
At the time of the video(s), the other duck was outside door chirping loudly. They have a meltdown when separated even if they can see the other one which is why in hoping to identify the sex and maybe expand the flock.
Niles has never quaked a far as I can tell

Firstly, I think they are younger than you think. I have two four week olds with similar feathering. Ducks sell really fast and grow really fast so if they were tiny when you got them, they are probably only 5 weeks old.
Anyway, yes, Daphne is quacking and a girl. You are probably correct about Niles but there is still a chance. The curly tail feathers don’t mean anything as they don’t get drake feathers until their next molt. But, the abdomen shape is a clue, leaning male. Also, his peeping is probably a clue but there is always a chance of a late bloomer. If I were you I would assume you are correct but there is still a chance of a surprise.
That's very true. My husband thought our ducklings were both boys even the one w/the ring around its neck turned out to be a girl. Our ducks were Pekin/Mallard. We have'nt had much luck deciding by their peeping, but, the beak color & the way they behave helps w/the sex.

I am in the same boat trying to sex my ducks that are just a bit older then yours my Blue Swedish sounds an awful lot like Daphne so I may have guessed correctly and Dolly is probably a girl! I am hoping I am also right and that my white crested is a boy so far guesses here are saying that's probable. thanks for sharing they are so cute!!

Back
Top Bottom