Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

@RoyalChick i did see on their fb page they were looking for volunteers to help patching up a few roofs. As i am taking a facilities management course, i could gain valuable experience helping with that. I sent them a message. Wife might not like it, but i need to do something with my free time that doesn't involve sitting on my living room floor like a sack of shit.
Yes - I noticed they needed some help with sheds and animal housing.
I am so glad you reached out to them - and I am sure it would count as relevant experience.
I will keep thinking of ideas.

I believe it’s northern fowl mite. It doesn’t look like lice to me, and they aren’t red. I think I might use Sevin spray to get the vertical surfaces in the coop, and I’ve mixed sand into their dust bathing areas just to try to break up the clay a bit more for them. I’m seeing an improvement, just have to keep at it until I’ve made it through all the eggs, I suppose.
I have no experience with northern fowl mite. Have been reading it is hard to eliminate. And Shad is right.

You find a little more info on northern fowl mite, after the red mite, in this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mites-on-chickens-prevention-treatment.76797/

I filled out their form and submitted it. And Ft. Lee is quite close. I will only be able to do Saturdays.

Must be amazing to work there.
They even have dinosaurs in Overpeck County Park Ft Lee, NJ.

More serious, I hope you will find a nice place with chickens were you can be happy for at least one day a week. At fort Lee or somewhere else!

Fair cop Gov! I bought a 30 l storage box for my new 'dry goods' section!
View attachment 3680236

Also true! However, whether or not the chickens like it, I know I can eat it, and it'll be good for me, so it's not a waste of money (unlike the stuff sold as chicken feed, which I wouldn't let near my guts!). :p How's the bean flour? Gram flour (chickpea) was a great find for me.
We have a local very easy recipe with gram flour, socca. Here is the basic recipe in English but the person didn't mention that the way to eat it is generously sprinkled with pepper and rosé wine as an appetizer, and that it should be on the thin side. It also exists in Italy where it's called farinata and in Uruguay/Argentina faina.
I've been depressed since Skeksis died. This past week has been especially tough for some unknown reason. I miss being able to just go outside and spending time with chickens. It was basically my therapy.
I hope volunteering works out. You need to find things that makes you at least a bit better, and feeling useful usually helps !
You lost your best pet friend and your whole life turned upside down, so it's understandable that it's not just a kick your butt and you should be doing good in a few weeks thing.

We have a local very easy recipe with gram flour, socca. Here is the basic recipe in English but the person didn't mention that the way to eat it is generously sprinkled with pepper and rosé wine as an appetizer, and that it should be on the thin side. It also exists in Italy where it's called farinata and in Uruguay/Argentina faina.
thanks - that sounds delicious!

Thanks for the link to Love and Lemons.
The are a lot of yummie recepis were that one came from. And quick videos that makes reading a recipe not even necessary. This link goes to a pumpkin soup I already know and often make in autumn and winter: https://www.loveandlemons.com/butternut-squash-soup/

Tax
IMG_3522.jpeg

Yesterday my scared bantams were a little more at ease in free ranging. They were out and about near the coop and the house for an hour.

Back
Top Bottom