Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

some tax for law and ID talk: Quenell working a rotting log this morning
View attachment 3777113
There were no visible insect prey there, and I suspect she might have been hunting funga not fauna. I learnt recently that there are estimated to be between 2.2 and 3.8 million species of fungi in the world - that's about 6-10 times the estimated number of plant species - and over 90% of them have yet to be described (Sheldrake, Entangled Life, illustrated edition 2023:29).

So far in our garden I've identified the blusher, some boletes, chicken of the woods, some club fungi, cobalt crust, earthballs, fairy ring champignon, inkcaps, jelly ears, King Alfred's cakes, mycenas, a saddle fungus, and turkey tail. There are dozens of others I've not been able to identify, even loosely. I think this one is the weirdest and loveliest, so far
View attachment 3777163
One minute it's a translucent, delicate cup, a few hours later it's dissolved into ink!
What a fascinating looking thing!
I did not know that about fungi - but I am not surprised. My chickens like rotting logs too - and sometimes when I turn them over even I can see a half dozen very different looking fungal growths.

well, we still don't have ID cards, so I don't think it can be said we're over-regulated.
I have a driver's license that is an id for banks , buying alcohol, airport. Although with the gray hair they don't ask for alcohol anymore 😂. But if I'm not driving I don't have to have it on me.
My mom did not drive and had a state id for airport and bank.
I also live in a state that requires a firearm identification card, which I need to buy ammunition and own a gun. I'm supposed to have it with me if I have my gun with me. But I only have the gun on my property... and it's in my wallet if I went anywhere anyway.

Overcast with that British slightly damp feeling. Warmish at 11C. Had stuff to do in the city. Given I was going straight to the allotments I had my allotment cloths on, mud covered waterproof trousers and a storm jacket, woolen hat and muddy boots and a rucksack. I sat down on a bit of a wall near the bustop and a passer by dropped a pound coin in my lap.:lol: I must admit I do look like many of the homeless street people and there are lots in Bristol. I gave the pound to the next chap along the wall who was a street sleeper. If I stopped shaving and carried a sleeping bag I reckon I could double my state pension if I put a full day in.:p

Everybody got out for a couple of hours foraging.
P3200440.JPG

P3200441.JPG

Just managed to get this shot of Mow's legs in...and a bit of a finger.
The new scales are growing in and you may just be able to see the last raised scales patches on the side of her legs. There is a bit of work to do on one of the legs at the back and she should be okay after those scales have grown out. She'll need her legs doing weekly from now on I suspect.
P3200442.JPG

Given I was going straight to the allotments I had my allotment cloths on, mud covered waterproof trousers and a storm jacket, woolen hat and muddy boots and a rucksack. I sat down on a bit of a wall near the bustop and a passer by dropped a pound coin in my lap.:lol: I must admit I do look like many of the homeless street people and there are lots in Bristol. I gave the pound to the next chap along the wall who was a street sleeper. If I stopped shaving and carried a sleeping bag I reckon I could double my state pension if I put a full day in.:p
:lau:lau:lau:lau

I have a driver's license that is an id for banks , buying alcohol, airport. Although with the gray hair they don't ask for alcohol anymore 😂. But if I'm not driving I don't have to have it on me.
My mom did not drive and had a state id for airport and bank.
I also live in a state that requires a firearm identification card, which I need to buy ammunition and own a gun. I'm supposed to have it with me if I have my gun with me. But I only have the gun on my property... and it's in my wallet if I went anywhere anyway.
There are that many cameras in Bristol I recken every step of my journey to the allotments can be traced. My bus pass has my picture, name and an ID number on it. My bank cards have my name and account details. Don't really need an ID card.

The authorities are discussing such new rules in the Netherlands too. . Such registration is not made for BYChicken keepers but to protect factory farming, where they have a real problem with bird flu because the chickens live in harsh and crowded circumstances.
I agree.

Given I was going straight to the allotments I had my allotment cloths on, mud covered waterproof trousers and a storm jacket, woolen hat and muddy boots and a rucksack.
I wear similar mud covered, coat,pants and boots. My relatives think I should wear clean daily. Sounds like a waste of water to me.

Back
Top Bottom