Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I can't see this poor hen lasting much longer. I mentioned to C that I thought she should be put out of her misery now. I shall see if C has taken my advice in the morning.
In the last picture which was taken yesterday she's in the corner where all the dying hens I've seen here choosed to spend their last hours. There is shelter from the wind in this spot and they only have two sides of the square to wath for threats.
I managed to get some Metacam for her.
This evening I had her on my lap for half an hour or so trying to keep her warm. She did make her own way to the coop at roost time and was wedged in with the others when I checked before I left.
She was very slow this afternoon and not interested in eating much.
P1310315.JPG
P2010317.JPG
P2010318.JPG
P2010332.JPG

I can't see this poor hen lasting much longer. I mentioned to C that I thought she should be put out of her misery now. I shall see if C has taken my advice in the morning.
In the last picture which was taken yesterday she's in the corner where all the dying hens I've seen here choosed to spend their last hours. There is shelter from the wind in this spot and they only have two sides of the square to wath for threats.
I managed to get some Metacam for her.
This evening I had her on my lap for half an hour or so trying to keep her warm. She did make her own way to the coop at roost time and was wedged in with the others when I checked before I left.
She was very slow this afternoon and not interested in eating much.View attachment 2981663View attachment 2981664View attachment 2981665View attachment 2981666
It does sound like she's at the end.

I took Mr. Bumble out to see the girls when I went to lock them up for the night. He had the strength to fly up to the roosting bars, so I left him there. Tonight's low will be 59 degrees, so he'll be fine on that end. Normally I work Thursdays, but turns out I have Covid, so I will be staying home. Will just bring him in tomorrow morning to give him food & water.

I took Mr. Bumble out to see the girls when I went to lock them up for the night. He had the strength to fly up to the roosting bars, so I left him there. Tonight's low will be 59 degrees, so he'll be fine on that end. Normally I work Thursdays, but turns out I have Covid, so I will be staying home. Will just bring him in tomorrow morning to give him food & water.
Hope the covid is kind to you. Mr Bumble seems to have turned the corner now. You make quite a pair! ;)

A beautiful name! She seems to appreciate her current house chicken condition. What breed is she ? She looks a lot like one of my ex-batt 💚.
Thank you. She is a commercial egg layer... (When I picked chicks in our feed store a year ago, I had no idea about breeds) She was sold as a "golden buff", which seems to be the same as golden comet.

She is quite content being a house chicken, as long as we respond to her calls😆. I feel like it's gonna be a month before we can release her back... Poor thing, she had a big chunk of skin torn from her body... We also didn't take her in right away because we thought her limping was due to sprain. (We were bad parents for not checking thoroughly😞)

Back
Top Bottom