Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Thank you. She is a commercial egg layer... (When I picked chicks in our feed store a year ago, I had no idea about breeds) She was sold as a "golden buff", which seems to be the same as golden comet.

She is quite content being a house chicken, as long as we respond to her calls😆. I feel like it's gonna be a month before we can release her back... Poor thing, she had a big chunk of skin torn from her body... We also didn't take her in right away because we thought her limping was due to sprain. (We were bad parents for not checking thoroughly😞)
How sad for Light! Is she the only hen that was hurt by the rooster, or does he pick on all your hens?
Maybe you should get her one of those chicken saddle thing to protect her when you put them back together ?

My tiny mongrel bantam cockerel, Théo, is just beginning to try dancing for Cannelle one of my ex-batt but he's still a very, very long way from getting anywhere near 😂

Fluffy Butt Friday?

This is Light's fluffy butt. In this picture, you can also see that she destroyed my Avocado seedling that was growing really well. Of course it was my fault.
lightButt.jpg

The second picture is her laying egg in the pine shaving bag. 😂 She has decided that she HAS to lay there. Nothing can stop her.
lightnest.jpg

How sad for Light! Is she the only hen that was hurt by the rooster, or does he pick on all your hens?
Maybe you should get her one of those chicken saddle thing to protect her when you put them back together ?

My tiny mongrel bantam cockerel, Théo, is just beginning to try dancing for Cannelle one of my ex-batt but he's still a very, very long way from getting anywhere near 😂
Thanks for asking. She is the only hen hurt. Other hens are completely OK. She is always Foggy's favorite. My husband always says that Light is the best looking hen that we have 😅 . Foggy is the rooster (also my avatar). I have more pictures of other members coming up.

The full story is that on Day 1 (about 4 weeks ago) My husband noticed she couldn't jump nearly as high for treats, and he saw she was limping. Day 2 she was already better. Day 3 and 4 about the same. Day 5 he noticed that Foggy was just standing on her without mating😡 and poor thing was clearly in pain. That is when we brought her in. We were so terrible that we still did not check her thoroughly then. It was God's arrangement that Day 5 afternoon we had a chicken friend coming to visit for other stuff, and she took a look and showed us her BAD injuries. The good news is there was no infection and she was already healing on her own. We then washed with Betadine and applied Neosporin. We felt soooo bad.

I do have two questions for everyone:
1. We only applied Neosporin for about a week. During that time, she wanted dirt bath and we gave her dirt bath. I wasn't sure how this will work out with the ointment, but she didn't seem to have an issue and is doing well now. Any thoughts?
2. Does a chicken saddle will still allow them to groom their feather and do their dirt bath freely? I've always wondered.

Fluffy Butt Friday?

This is Light's fluffy butt. In this picture, you can also see that she destroyed my Avocado seedling that was growing really well. Of course it was my fault.
View attachment 2983113

The second picture is her laying egg in the pine shaving bag. 😂 She has decided that she HAS to lay there. Nothing can stop her.
View attachment 2983117
That is one beautiful bum. 😍

Shad the Legbars in the last set of pics you posted are beautiful! I’ve been looking carefully at them as we are hatching a 1/2 dozen this May. So gorgeous! How is their temperament?

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
This lot are a bit skittish. The Ex Battery hens are more adventurous and friendly. This doesn't mean that other Legbars will be the same.

Thanks for asking. She is the only hen hurt. Other hens are completely OK. She is always Foggy's favorite. My husband always says that Light is the best looking hen that we have 😅 . Foggy is the rooster (also my avatar). I have more pictures of other members coming up.

The full story is that on Day 1 (about 4 weeks ago) My husband noticed she couldn't jump nearly as high for treats, and he saw she was limping. Day 2 she was already better. Day 3 and 4 about the same. Day 5 he noticed that Foggy was just standing on her without mating😡 and poor thing was clearly in pain. That is when we brought her in. We were so terrible that we still did not check her thoroughly then. It was God's arrangement that Day 5 afternoon we had a chicken friend coming to visit for other stuff, and she took a look and showed us her BAD injuries. The good news is there was no infection and she was already healing on her own. We then washed with Betadine and applied Neosporin. We felt soooo bad.

I do have two questions for everyone:
1. We only applied Neosporin for about a week. During that time, she wanted dirt bath and we gave her dirt bath. I wasn't sure how this will work out with the ointment, but she didn't seem to have an issue and is doing well now. Any thoughts?
2. Does a chicken saddle will still allow them to groom their feather and do their dirt bath freely? I've always wondered.
Chicken saddles prevent proper dust bathing and grooming. I'm not clear what the "other bad" injuries are (?)

This is the sick hen. She came out with the others when I let them out. She was in the middle of the rush to get chopped cabbage and chopped tomatoes with some sunflower seeds. She went and ate a bit of grass and then retired to the coop. She's in the egg box. Some hens sleep there but they also lay eggs there.
The sick hen is sitting on a single egg. I do not know whatt to make of it.
P2040339.JPG

Back
Top Bottom