Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

On her right side under her wing, she had a big chunk of skin (approximately 4cm by 6cm) torn off from her meat. We could see hardened-off scabs with possibly dried blood on the skin that was falling. That is the injury. It's been almost 3 weeks that she is in the house. She seems to have gained her muscle strength back. But today when I checked her I can still see a pretty big area of skin-less meat (maybe 2cm by 4cm). I also saw she ate a small piece of her own scab when she groomed her right side today...
Are you using vetericyn on it? If not I highly suggest it

This is the sick hen. She came out with the others when I let them out. She was in the middle of the rush to get chopped cabbage and chopped tomatoes with some sunflower seeds. She went and ate a bit of grass and then retired to the coop. She's in the egg box. Some hens sleep there but they also lay eggs there.
The sick hen is sitting on a single egg. I do not know whatt to make of it.
View attachment 2983738
A safe place to rest ? Was she still in there when you left?

1. We only applied Neosporin for about a week. During that time, she wanted dirt bath and we gave her dirt bath. I wasn't sure how this will work out with the ointment, but she didn't seem to have an
If you applied it just before bedtime my guess is it has sufficient time to soak the skin and be efficient while she sleeps.

She is always Foggy's favorite. My husband always says that Light is the best looking hen that we have 😅 . Foggy is the rooster (also my avatar
She does have a lovely face and a fluffy butt, however that is no excuse for stepping on her! Foggy is a chick on your avatar how old is he now? Any chance he'll grow out of it ?

She does have a lovely face and a fluffy butt, however that is no excuse for stepping on her! Foggy is a chick on your avatar how old is he now? Any chance he'll grow out of it ?
He is 11 month old now. They all are. I feel like there is a chance he will grow out of it... I'd like to think he is a good rooster but his ability to show that is limited by not enough free ranging.
Every now and then we take Light out to social with her buddies while keeping Foggy away. At the end when we took her back to the house, Foggy gave the most heartbreaking monstrous scream...
If you applied it just before bedtime my guess is it has sufficient time to soak the skin and be efficient while she sleeps.
Thanks for the suggestion on application before bedtime.

Here is a picture of Foggy that I took yesterday. The lighting is too dark to show off his feathers.
Foggydark.jpg

This is Inky whose picture is hardest to take because she does not let anyone get nearby. But she has the most beautiful tail and feather, and above all, most fluffy butt. Her and Foggy are supposed to be the same breed, a cross between Australorp and RIR.

InkyButt.jpg

This is little Tina, a RIR. Small and nimble. Best at getting treats and stealing.
Tinafence.jpg

This is big Wendy, another RIR. Fat, slow, and sweet. 😄
WendyFence.jpg

Here is a picture of Foggy that I took yesterday. The lighting is too dark to show off his feathers.
View attachment 2984081

This is Inky whose picture is hardest to take because she does not let anyone get nearby. But she has the most beautiful tail and feather, and above all, most fluffy butt. Her and Foggy are supposed to be the same breed, a cross between Australorp and RIR.

View attachment 2984085

This is little Tina, a RIR. Small and nimble. Best at getting treats and stealing.
View attachment 2984086

This is big Wendy, another RIR. Fat, slow, and sweet. 😄
View attachment 2984087

They are all beautiful birds.

Back
Top Bottom