Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I think Paprika is conflicted: she saw Eve leave her chicks and return to the flock last week, but she's not quite ready to follow suit, so she spends the day with them but then, when they're all tucked up in the nest boxes she skips out of that coop and goes to roost with the grown ups :D:love
That is unusual but rather touching.

some time ago Shad you posted a link to George Monbiot's piece in the Guardian about livestock farming. There is an excellent response from Thomasina Miers today: https://www.theguardian.com/comment...at-planet-george-monbiot-regenerative-grazing
It took me a while to find a copy. Yep, good response.
Why don't these such and such is going to end the world type articles suggest less in preference to none.:confused:

It's a great concept is less. Less noise. Most go for that.
Less intensive farming driven by less consumption has seemed reasonable in the past.
Not directly related but something that has brought a wry smile to face on a few occasions is we should all use less electricity but will you please all buy all these electrical gadgets we're trying to sell you. This isn't something, as isn't the environment in general, something that can be left to market forces to protect. People, most anyway don't even want to hear use less, have less when there is such obvious disparity between those with lots and those without.

In the UK (Catalonia was very differenet) the young who we made all this mess for seem apathetic and apolitical so we can't really hope they will bring about much change.
Left with legislation basically. Not that much of a problem in the UK these days but the restrictions imposed would not go down well in the US.
In the UK once again they will leave it to market forces.
There is the academics approach and hope that education will make the necessary changes and while it does work; most of us can read and write now, it takes too long.

I think she looks like an ISA Brown.
You could be right. It's hard to tell here because there are, or were, quite a few slightly differenet versions. There are two Golden Comets in the group. The Red Sex Links are not all quite the same. There have been three intakes in the last couple of years and each intake seems different from the last.

:lau Okay, Shad, I am your living proof! I've got everything ready for them and I can't find chickens! I've been to three fairs to try to find local breeders and it was a bust. Craig's List was just a bunch of people reselling started pullets that they raised from hatchery chicks, same with the feed stores.

The only hopeful contact I made was with a Japanese gentlemen breeding Ohiki, of all breeds! Now I am with Ribh on Pheonix cockerels, and the Ohiki boys are equally eye candy, but I can't have boys and this is a rare breed. I would feel bad taking the pullets out of the gene pool.
They tell me America is a big place. James Brown tells you can go station to station across the nation. I've never been to California. Time for a road trip (?) :p:oops:
You could use your boat and sail on this quest!

On a more serious note; that's not a good sign is it. The breeders are supplying the hatcheries and the hatcheries have a monopoly.

It took me a while to find a copy. Yep, good response.
Why don't these such and such is going to end the world type articles suggest less in preference to none.:confused:

It's a great concept is less. Less noise. Most go for that.
Less intensive farming driven by less consumption has seemed reasonable in the past.
Not directly related but something that has brought a wry smile to face on a few occasions is we should all use less electricity but will you please all buy all these electrical gadgets we're trying to sell you. This isn't something, as isn't the environment in general, something that can be left to market forces to protect. People, most anyway don't even want to hear use less, have less when there is such obvious disparity between those with lots and those without.

In the UK (Catalonia was very differenet) the young who we made all this mess for seem apathetic and apolitical so we can't really hope they will bring about much change.
Left with legislation basically. Not that much of a problem in the UK these days but the restrictions imposed would not go down well in the US.
In the UK once again they will leave it to market forces.
There is the academics approach and hope that education will make the necessary changes and while it does work; most of us can read and write now, it takes too long.
One thing that has me really puzzled is the push for electric cars. That seems to me just exchanging one set of problems for a different set of problems with no improvement in outcome.

Oh, Shad, if you had set up that table at our Santa Monica farmer's market, all the trendy hipsters would have had you sold out before the end of the day.
I'm not entirely sure I want trendy hipsters owning one of my lamps. :p
They are a bit far off base for many people. I've heard this discussion a few times at the Catalonian markets, "it's lovely, but where would we put it."
Letme put it like this, they don't blend well.:lol:

One thing that has me really puzzled is the push for electric cars. That seems to me just exchanging one set of problems for a different set of problems with no improvement in outcome.
I can't quite work it out either. Even if every car was solar powered, the fossil fuel burning power plants in many nations are the bigger problem.

However, I can see myself getting an electric car because I want to reduce my personal consumption of fossil fuels.

I can't quite work it out either. Even if every car was solar powered, the fossil fuel burning power plants in many nations are the bigger problem.

However, I can see myself getting an electric car because I want to reduce my personal consumption of fossil fuels.
The underlying theory is that producing electricity in a clean way is not so hard and indeed in many places there has been a lot of progress towards wind, solar, hydro etc.
So if all cars were electric and most electricity generation was clean, then it would solve a lot of problems. Eventually.

Back
Top Bottom