Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

In the UK we had a choice maybe 50 years ago to either invest in public transport or build roads and sell cars. We followed the American model basically and got sold the personal freedom ticket. No matter what political leanings one may have it's been a disaster one way and another; pollution, road costs, traffic accidents,etc. The thing that got overlooked is the UK is a very small place with an awful lot of people in it. Now we are being encouraged not to take our cars into the city and use the city transport system. That's fine if the transport system works and attracts investment; but it doesn't. It's a mess.
I don't think electric cars are going to work out as great as some would have us believe. The message the government need to get over for the good of the environment is personal transport era is over. We can't afford the cost in all it's guises. That also means the era of the internal combustion engine is over as well. It still is a hard sell to the automotive industry and the energy companies.
If it had been up to me, I would have gone for city trams and highspeed rail under public ownership.
When I was stationed in Germany and later working in the Netherlands I loved travel by train. Kick back, enjoy a drink and enjoy the ride. Even my year in Korea long distance was by bus and train and I enjoyed it.

Sooo, is it going to piss down with rain tomorrow or not? I have some wood to pick up from a builders yard, four six foot long planks in fact. It's a two bus journey with some waliking inbetween.
A few light showers today but not enough to get wet in.

The back of Henry's legs after coating them in Vaseline the night before.
P9030076.JPG

Fret and Matilda. These two get on well.
P9030077.JPG
P9030079.JPG
P9030080.JPG

Attachments

• P9030081.JPG
    P9030081.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 2
The thing that got overlooked is the UK is a very small place with an awful lot of people in it. Now we are being encouraged not to take our cars into the city and use the city transport system. That's fine if the transport system works and attracts investment; but it doesn't. It's a mess.
It used to be rather good ~ @ least in London when I was there in '79.
Beat Sydney's mess of a system by a long mile!​

Busy kicking in to springtime here. Just caught up on the thread for the past couple of days.
My husband and I were kicking around the idea of getting an electric car awhile ago when we needed to get a new one. We decided not to, for the reasons discussed here already and we didn't feel like the cars or the infrastructure are really where they need to be yet for it to be a valid choice. Maybe we will in future. I'm still driving an old Toyota station wagon from 2000 and I love it.

I've been attending to spring garden prep, seed starting, and cleaning. Did the yearly deep-bedding muck out in the main coop. Still too cold here at night to release the red-mite eating predatory mites but I'm keeping my eye on the temperatures.

Tax! Two birds I haven't got anymore. An orpington hen and a mottled leghorn cockerel. I still have his sister.

20210330_163456.jpg

Last edited:
It's the junior roosters job to look after the chicks after mum stops. I'm pretty certain about this.
Yes I thought that too, but Phoenix seems not to have got the memo...yet, at least.
Being a chick and not with mum is tough for the first few weeks. Suddenly they're at the back of the queue for everything and likely to get a peck from an adult should they come within range and that includes their mum sometimes.
Ordinarily yes, but because their broody was so low in the hierarchy, I've had to duck and dive to feed this clutch from the start, and now when I put out food in direction A, these 7 know to run round to the opposite side of the house, where I will appear shortly with something just for them :D . Of the June clutch, Ida has started popping into the utility room for a private feed as required. I think all the birds in the flock know that if they come to the back door I'll offer them food, inside or out as they wish, and if they time it right, there won't be any competition.

This is a very good point. I come from a state where a percentage of the population is reliant on things like mining ~ we overturned a certain election over this particular quandary. If we want to put people out of work over fossil fuels etc we need to provide alternative employment. These people have families to feed.

She is so pretty.

Are you from the US?

Of course the government doesn't think about the fallout.

Back
Top Bottom