Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

There are loonies everywhere. Even in lowest dense populated areas. And kids playing. And… many more reasons why its not safe to distribute guns.

In my dense populated country there are not many killings because its very restricted to buy a gun. Most killings are within the maffiosi circuits. But because even here its a bit too easy to get one stupid shootings happen here too from time to time..

Integrating the 24 pullets and 2 cockerels(5 and 4 month old group) with 9 and 3. (9months). So far, so good. Not all of the younger girls have come out of the nursery run yet, but Blue is going in and leading them out in groups. He really is the perfect boy! I love him so much!

I gave them some melon to socialize over and they will have sardines with dinner. So far, so good. I have noticed that the older pullets are teaching the younger cockerels some manners too. I will try to get pictures later, I just never think to take the phone down there with me.

After all, those walking frames take up a lot of space
Exactly, and wheel chairs even more. Older folks may not have need for a 10m x 5m living room but geez, there should at least be enough room for a table, a couple of chairs and enough room to turn around with the walker. Ours is not overly large, about 5m x 5m I would guess. Enough room for a chair, sofa, 1.5m upholstered bench a TV (which is not connected to any TV signal source) and the wood stove.

I dealt with a few episodes of sour crop last year after some hens found a fallen bunch of rotting fermenting bananas and gorged on them -- peels and all.

I had the best results doing the following.

1. No food for 24 hours. Only water with apple cider vinegar added.

2. Crop massage every two hours

3. If the crop has gone done by the next morning, I give the bird an Epsom salt flush, wait for her to poop, then offer some scrambled egg. And keep the bird on a restricted high protein diet for a few days while monitoring.

This was enough treatment for one hen. She didn't have a fungal infection, yet, she was just backed up with fermented banana goop. For the other (who eventually died a year later from reproductive issues), I had to do the following:

1. Make her vomit the crop contents. I know some people say this is risky, but when a bird has gunky liquid coming out of her beak, she can choke to death on that too. Getting it out can really help her clear what's in there so you can start treatment. Be firm and quick about it. I think people cause the bird undue stress by hesitating in the action. Hold the chicken securely, tip her whole body downward, press (don't squeeze) on the crop. Count to 4. If liquid is coming out, great, but don't hold her upside down for more than 4 seconds. Set her down and let her shake her head and catch her breath. Repeat if necessary.

2. Start treatment with acidified copper sulfate. One half teaspoon dissolved in water with a teaspoon apple cider vinegar added to make it palatable. Make sure that's the only water she drinks for 5 days. I've tried both Nystatin and clotrimazole but found acidified copper sulfate to be the most effective. But some people have good results with clotrimazole or micozanole so you can try those first. And you can get them without prescription at a pharmacy (sold as vaginal creams for yeast infections)

3. Also lots of crop massage and a high protein restricted diet helps.
Eventually, the second hen's reproductive problems caused her to decline, but I was able to get her crop working again with the treatment and she lived another year.

This article by @TwoCrows if you haven't read it is really helpful and informative on different crop problems and treatments.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...p-disorders.67194/?page=10#ams-comment-525417

I hope the best for your girl. I found sometimes crop problems are just from indigestion or molting and can be cured. But sometimes they are a symptom of an underlying cause so I hope that's not the case here. 💜
Thank you so much for sharing your experience so thoroughly.

I have read the article by twocrow and also the one by azygous, both are very helpful. Unfortunately we already dealt with one sour crop case (this June) and one impacted crop case (June+July). For the impacted crop, it was persistent and we ended up driving 2 hours to Raleigh for a vet. It was worth the visit because the vet saved her!!

I also think you are right on making chicken vomit. She was spilling water from her beak yesterday. Her crop is less full now so I might not do it this time.

Anyhow due to past history we are stocked up on medicine for crop issues including ACS. Right now we are giving her micozanale which has been working well in the past. She is more mobile than yesterday. Fingers crossed that she will be better soon!

I hope so too. Keep me posted. Chronic crop issues often mean there's a tumor or hernia or some other cause slowing digestion. A lower-starch/lower carb diet can help for awhile.

I've watched some awful YouTube videos of people making their hen vomit and they are talking to the camera and fidgeting with the sick bird for minutes on end before actually doing the darn thing. I'm like :barnie :barnie please we don't need to know Cookie's name and life story while she's obviously getting totally stressed out about being restrained... Just do it already and put the poor bird down. :smack

Last edited:
Sunny but chilly today. Four hours with a break in the middle.
It looks as if integration is about done. Carbon is steadily relaxing around the chicks. She even shared the same bowl of feed. She still keeps them in their place but the chasing has stopped.
Fret still watches over the pair and calls them when she finds something particularly tasty. The chicks forage as a pair, often a good dsitance from Fret.
Henry has behaved impeccably to date.
PA142520.JPG
PA142521.JPG
PA142517.JPG
PA142518.JPG
PA142515.JPG
PA142519.JPG
PA142516.JPG

There are loonies everywhere. Even in lowest dense populated areas. And kids playing. And… many more reasons why its not safe to distribute guns.

In my dense populated country there are not many killings because its very restricted to buy a gun. Most killings are within the maffiosi circuits. But because even here its a bit too easy to get one stupid shootings happen here too from time to time..
The Swiss have more guns per person than than the USA I believe but don't have the same problems. Many people I knew in Catalonia had guns and managed to not have the type of gun crime that seems common in the USA. In fact lots there are lots of countries where gun possesion is common where gun crime is comparatively rare.

Back
Top Bottom