Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I'm curious about American holidays. Does anyone opt out of a holiday? Will anyone opt out of thanksgiving?

Tax for bringing up a topic that isn't about chickens.

IMG_2023-10-30-15-07-20-743.jpg

I'm curious about American holidays. Does anyone opt out of a holiday? Will anyone opt out of thanksgiving?

Tax for bringing up a topic that isn't about chickens.

View attachment 3687166
Most businesses close, at least after noon.

Sit down restaurants that serve Thanksgiving type dinners remain open. Most fast food places close after the lunch hours.

Most businesses close, at least after noon.

Sit down restaurants that serve Thanksgiving type dinners remain open. Most fast food places close after the lunch hours.
Ok, that's a surprise. I had assumed every place of business closed for the day.

It sounds like no individual people opt out of the holiday. If you have to work 5 hours at the restaurant, your family would do their Thanksgiving dinner after you got home. Is that right?

Ok, that's a surprise. I had assumed every place of business closed for the day.

It sounds like no individual people opt out of the holiday. If you have to work 5 hours at the restaurant, your family would do their Thanksgiving dinner after you got home. Is that right?
Everyone is different. It would depend on the family. None of us here will be working on the holiday.

I work at a university, it pretty much shuts down for the entire week. :rolleyes: Grocery stores are often open until noonish. Some people have dinner later in the afternoon, others watch football, or do both.

When I was growing up (1960s and 70s) everything was closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, except the hospital.

Everyone is different. It would depend on the family. None of us here will be working on the holiday.

I work at a university, it pretty much shuts down for the entire week. :rolleyes: Grocery stores are often open until noonish. Some people have dinner later in the afternoon, others watch football, or do both.

When I was growing up (1960s and 70s) everything was closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, except the hospital.
Thanks for explaining! In some ways it's similar to Australia, of course there are differences too.

Taxes again!

IMG_2023-10-27-19-11-08-180.jpg

Here's a pretty good overview of the history of Thanksgiving in America:

https://www.almanac.com/thanksgiving-day

Screenshot_20231119-151522-121.png

1000022959.jpg

Just one point from the perspective of a New England born yankee and descendant of the original settlers (not a brag): the Pilgrims and Puritans are lumped in together in much of what you might read. The Pilgrims of Plymouth Rock were separatists, wanted to have their own church, separate from the Anglican church, but the Puritans wanted to purify the church. Their attitudes were different, and it was the intolerance of some of the Puritans that led to the witch trials at Salem. The Pilgrims created a document, the Mayflower Compact, which is the forerunner of the US Constitution.

Tax, showing separation :D
IMG_20231118_172710289~2.jpg

Well knock me down with a feather: I've just discovered that the Clintons were staying at a nearby hotel on Thursday night! And it didn't rain Friday morning - was quite beautiful in fact - so that was a bit of luck for them. Very agreeable place in a very pretty glade, called Fairy Hill. One can imagine fairies in the garden in spring, especially. Full of daffs and other spring flowers. Autumn colours now.
I thought they had seperated.
I would have gone to try to meet them. Huge influence in the world. I still liosten to lots of George's productions.
What a pity you didn't know.
Great picture of George and one of him and his now ex wife I believe.
GettyImages-96452100.jpg
gettyimages-1342193911-1024x1024.jpg

The funny thing with the chickens, I only occasionally eat eggs, I was never a big egg eater, but my husband loves eggs, and my parents eat a lot of eggs. So I thought, if nothing else, we would be able give eggs to my parents to help them out too, but my parents don't like "Fresh eggs", they prefer store bought. I don't get it, because our fresh eggs taste a million times better. *sigh The neighbors love them though, so we give them 4 dozen and they grew some different veg in their garden and shared those items with us, so it works out.

For me, the chickens are therapy. I love sitting with them and watching them do their chicken things and the little cooing and trilling washes away my stress. So it is cheaper and healthier than alternatives.
I can't produce enough eggs. I give my extras away but I have more takers than I can supply even though the majority of my girls these days are bantams. I may have made a mistake initially by explaining bantam eggs are nearly all yolk & the D'Uccle's are protein rich. Oh, & I show takers pictures of which girl's eggs they're taking. 🤣 Now all my regulars have a personal stake in my girls & I get asked regularly how everyone's doing.

Back
Top Bottom