Shaking Chick!! {Happy Updates!! pg. 5}[Pics on pg.6]

I was thinking it may be blind and then after reading Redfeathers post I'm even more
inclined to think neurological and/or sight related. See if she responds at all to you if you
wave your hand in front of her. Start at a distance and move closer.

If you are already using a avarian based vitamin and electrolyte powder do not
overmedicate with too many vitamins. They could hurt more than help. Try feeding
some yogurt to see if she responds.

She didn't respond much to me waving stuff around her. But she did respond a couple of times when I went to grab her. When she turns in a circle it is always counter-clockwise. She is at such good weight and condition I think it would be weird for her to be completly blind.

She is exhausted from me messing with her and as she went to sleep I noticed the trembling stopped.

Maybe blind/partially blind on one side? That may explain why she only turns one way. She cranes her head and looks around like she can see. Poop is fine as I found out while trying to get her to drink. As she gets more tired she stops trembling.

It appears that when she is "trying to see something" she trembles, but as she dozes off with eyes still open she stops trembling. She's pecking at the boiled egg on the plate.

Ugh, *sigh* I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see. If she stays up on weight and doesn't get picked on, I'll just have to name her Tremor or Shakes. LOL

-Kim

If she gets picked on seperate her. Animals do some strange things. It's a waiting
game for you now. I've had chickens that were cold and almost dead come back and
are now full grown and healthy.

Well at least she's comfy. I think you're right, as long as she keeps her weight, and doesn't get picked on, it would be a quality chicken life, LOL. I guess we'll all be waiting to see. Karen

She seperate right now. In the house, in a box, under a lamp right now. She'll stay there into tomorrow. I have had a couple this year that had breathing problems the first few days of life. Those were just one of those things, they hatched out of the egg like that. So I left them in the brooder and just waited to see whether I would be burying them or not. At least one if not both recovered from their "gasping".

When I talked about the weight and being picked on, that was in reference to this one if she lives to grow up. I don't have a place to seperate her if it is something chronic. We'll see.

I had never dealt with this before, hence why I was so nervous.

LOL. I hear her clacking on the plate as she has discovered boiled egg is her new favorite food.

I will definately give her time because she does not seem to be suffering at all.

Could this be genetic? She was "suppose" to be part of my next generation SG Dorking breeding flock. So heredity is in question. It will only determine whether she lives in the laying flock or the breeder flock.

Thanks everyone.

-Kim

I'm doing alright. I'm typing from the school library right now. She was still shaking this morning. I put her back in the brooder for now, she hasn't been getting picked on and unfortunately her lonely cries in the house were loud enough to make me worry about complaints from the rest of the family. I watched the other chicks for the few moments I had, and all are well. I am thinking it is neurological and I'm just going to wait and see what happens. If she suffers at all she will be relieved of her pain. I think she'll just be "different" because she has plenty of weight and size to her, which being so young if she were off her feed at all her siblings would have left her in the dust growth wise. So I'm just watching and waiting. I'll be home in a few hours to check on her again.

Thanks everyone for the help. Sorry a freaked out just a tad. I have been participating in online poultry groups for a few months now and reading all I can and have NEVER read anything like this. LOL. I was just a little at a loss, I guess.

Thanks again,
-Kim

> yogurt does not provide electrolytes ...however I would offer a good quality live culture (plain not flavored) yogurt to this chick (and all of them ) as it will only be helpful on many levels.

>electrolytes/vit are a good idea because you stated it is hot and in addition to that a bird having the problems you describe will more than likely not drink sufficiently to avoid dehydration. Please go to the feed store and get the "proper" electrolyte/vitamins (pedialyte/gatorade is only an emergency substitute)
Ruth:
The Poly-Vi-Sol would be better than electrolytes because it has all the vitamins that are involved in vitamin deficiency and thus replaces them. You can also try cutting the top off of a vitamin E capsule and squeezing out the goo and letting it eat that. Vitamin E deficiency can cause symptoms similar to what you are describing. The combo of Poly-Vi-Sol and Vit. E works well together.

>Polyvisol is NOT a substitute for electroytes. Use the Polyvisol ENFAMIL (unflavored) formulation > this provides A-B-D vitamins (B-1 deficiency is the one most often assoc. with neurological problems)

Good luck!​

Quote:
>Polyvisol is NOT a substitute for electroytes. Use the Polyvisol ENFAMIL (unflavored) formulation > this provides A-B-D vitamins (B-1 deficiency is the one most often assoc. with neurological problems)

Good luck!

I'm sorry if my post was taken wrong. I wasn't saying Poly-Vi-Sol was a substitute for electrolytes I was replying to the question of whether electrolytes were the same thing and could be used instead of Poly-Vi-Sol. I also wasn't saying it had B1 and could help with neurological problems.

I was only trying to help someone who was desperately posting last night about a sick chick and no one was helping. Diana I don't claim to be an expert and give you all the credit. I usually post the Poly-Vi-Sol advice because in an emergency it certainly can't hurt to administer and often helps.

As usual, I stand corrected. Guess I'll just stay off the Emergency section and let you answer them all because lately, and twice today, you've gone back and quoted me and said how I was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom