Shamo hen broody or something else

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
So my Shamo hen doesn't want to really move and get up. She has been sitting in a corner of the chicken cage since this afternoon.
This morning I found her sitting on 3 eggs in the nesting box and subsequently removed her and placed her with the other hens.
Now this evening, whenever I try to move her she gets up but not fully and hobbles with her toes curled (Pic attached) and tries to stabilize herself with both wings.
I am confused if she is broody or if it is some other health related issue.

Attachments

• shamo.JPG
    shamo.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 30
Heygates grower feed as I have a mixed flock along with crushed eggshells at the side for calcium.

They also get a daily container of foodscraps from the kitchen (fruit, bread, vegetable peels, etc) and free-range in the garden during the day.
Can you please get a photo of the feed tag (analysis) of the feed?
According to Heygates, their grower feed contains a Coccidiostat, can you please get a photo of the analysis label on the bag that tells us which Coccidiostat is in the feed?

Also, from what I can tell, looks like the feed is 15.5% protein, which, imho, is too low,
I would try to find an all flock feed that is 18-20% protein.
Provide oyster shell free choice.

I would get some B-Complex and start giving your pullet 1/4 tablet daily.
She will benefit from some extra protein. Give her some egg, fish or meat daily or switch her(and the flock) to a higher protein feed.

Packet says it monetising sodium from 0.5kg/T coxidin 200 (E1701)
Read the feeding instructions on your feed analysis tag.

That Coccidiostat is not commonly used in feed here in the US.
According to the limited info I can find is to feed up to 16wks.

I would switch to an all flock feed if you have a mixed flock. (non medicated)

Do get her on some vitamins as well.

I would at least give it a couple of weeks minimum. It often works faster, but sometimes it can take longer. If after several weeks you are not seeing any kind of improvement, then I would start considering other causes.

How old is she? That looks more like hocksitting and curled toes, I would start giving her some super B complex vitamins daily (human ones, regular not time release, one daily) see if that helps. Vitamin deficiencies can cause these symptoms.

Hi guys, so since wednesday I have been feeding vitamin B tablet, and today she laid an egg !. So far condition doesn't seem to be deteriorating further.

Sounds good.
You are providing a source of calcium for your pullets and hens free choice correct? Oyster shells?
I have been providing crushed egg shells but every few days as I cannot collect enough and by the time i do the hens have eaten all the previous stock :( I will go and purchase some oyster shells tomorrow now.

Back
Top Bottom