Should I force my teenaged chicks to use the coop at night?

danceswithronin

Crowing
May 24, 2018
Alabama
My flock of chicks (four and six weeks old respectively) is being weird about going back into the coop at night to sleep. They have no problem using the coop for shade during the day and are smart enough to get it in it when it rains too, so I don't know why they feel compelled to sleep in the run. I leave the run door open so they can come and go as they please.

I was putting them in the coop by hand each night for a few days, but to be honest that is getting really old and I'm tempted to leave them out and let them figure it out for themselves. If I don't put them in the coop, they all just cuddle up in a giant pile to sleep in the corner of the run. It makes me nervous for them to sleep right up against the fence like that.

The run is completely enclosed, sides and top - wrought iron fencing panels and one-inch netting. The run is behind a six foot privacy fence in the suburbs in a yard patrolled by three dogs who are death to varmints. The dogs have no history of messing with the chickens unless the chickens get loose in the yard.

Normally I'd let the chicks take their chances (I did with my silkies last year until they figured it out on their own at 6-7 months old when the weather turned cold) but my terriers were raising hell barking around the chicken run last night, which made me really paranoid about predators trying to get in after reading some posts on this forum about people having their entire flocks decimated overnight.

If you ultimately want the chickens to sleep in the coop at night, they should be trained now.

Chickens have poor eyesight. At dusk, when it's time to roost, it is even darker in the coop. It's hard for them to see where they are going, and scary for young birds to go through that pop door into the blackness. Try putting a light in the coop at dusk. You can just use a flashlight or a small lantern that runs on batteries. Turn it on, wait 10 minutes, or wait an hour, chances are your chickens will end up back in the coop and you can turn off the light and lock the door behind them. You may have to herd them in for a few days yet, but it will be easier if they have a bit of light. It will be safer for them (weather and predators) if they sleep in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom