SHOULD I HELP!?? Chick has been piping over 48 hours?

One of the techniques I use for particularly difficult hatches after oiling the membrane and loosening the head away from the 'tucked into the wing' position, is to again gently wiggle the head loose (if needed) and then while holding the egg in one hand and my other hand underneath the egg, slowly turn the egg upside down where the chick's head is dangling from the opening in the shell, allowing gravity to do most of the work with very very gentle encouraging pulls but no tugging, the baby is still attached to the shell and may not have fully absorbed everything it needs from it. If you managed to get the chick in hand, place it and the attached shell back into the incubator for an hour or two. You'll then be looking for the umbilical cord to dry out enough to cut it in the narrowest spot with scissors at the closest spot to the shell, or with excellent luck, the chick to have finally kicked the shell off of itself. If the umbilical cord doesn't look dried up enough after a couple hours, keep checking back hourly. You can expect the chick to chirp (complain) long and loud while in the incubator after it's no longer trapped in the shell, I guess that's to be expected as it's had one very difficult entry into the world. It's not uncommon for the chick to fall asleep after it's no longer stuck in the shell too. Quail chicks sleep soundly, I'm often tempted to open the incubator to check to see if they're still alive. Hang in there, you're doing a great job!

Well. It’s 8:15 am here on the east coast. Any news yet??

I finally got a good nights sleep off and on as I got up every hour to see if the wanted water from the dropper and they did. Lol

I am so not doing this again. I have the hen outside with 3 chicks and 2 inside that are now my responsibility as she (the hen) freaked out on the baby last night and won’t claim it. Here we go again.

Okay everybody. I have some good news! The chick kicked her way out of the shell. She was very stuck, once I saw her membrane of the shell and how dried out it was! Shes kicking around in the incubator now. She’s still very dry right now, should I wet her or something? Praying that she turns out fine :fl

Attachments

• 6C1B0743-BA47-46D2-A187-12B058AEFE80.jpeg
    6C1B0743-BA47-46D2-A187-12B058AEFE80.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 19
  • D1A97E92-5338-4A23-A061-41801F0FE833.jpeg
    D1A97E92-5338-4A23-A061-41801F0FE833.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 2E47895E-CA1A-4F44-BBF8-F973C735F6FC.jpeg
    2E47895E-CA1A-4F44-BBF8-F973C735F6FC.jpeg
    445.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 28EC5C46-FBE6-45D4-987E-5252BFF9F5C4.jpeg
    28EC5C46-FBE6-45D4-987E-5252BFF9F5C4.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 19
YEAH!!!! Bet you could sleep for a week. Lol. I know I could. Is the membrane still stuck to her? Or is her feathers just stuck to her and waiting to fluff up?

I didn’t wet mine and it took them longer to fluff up. Don’t want to make them cold. Then you would have to hair dry them.
You could try taking a super soft cloth chamois.( You know for washing cars) and rub her up a little to try and fluff her???

I know! I’m exhausted. It’s all so nerve racking. My other three chicks will be happy to have a new friend. As for her feathers, they seem to have dried with the “goop” from the inside of the egg, so it feels winery. I’ll just let her be.

Back
Top Bottom