SHOULD I HELP!?? Chick has been piping over 48 hours?

She’s pretty active but still isn’t up and walking around. It’s been around 3-4 hours now. Any suggestions?

I know! I’m exhausted. It’s all so nerve racking. My other three chicks will be happy to have a new friend. As for her feathers, they seem to have dried with the “goop” from the inside of the egg, so it feels winery. I’ll just let her be.
Don't worry about fluffing up, all of that will shed very quickly, baby chicks molt almost constantly.
She’s pretty active but still isn’t up and walking around. It’s been around 3-4 hours now. Any suggestions?
Let her rest, she's had one arduous night too, it takes A LOT of energy to try to kick your way out of a wet rubber glove... which is about how being shrink wrapped must feel! It's not uncommon for them to mostly sleep for the first few days with an EASY hatch, imagine how much more tired she must be! If you have some chick booster or electrolytes (pedialyte without iron would do), it might be beneficial to offer her a little bit.

She also has curled toes, which is why she can’t stand. She’s been trying very hard to stand. Should wait to put tape on them?

I'd tape them. ChickBooster drops or other vitamin drop in her water. Difficult hatches often have curly toes but it usually works itself out. I like the 'sports tape' available at pharmacies, sticks to itself rather well, but won't pull the hide off of your chick when it's time to remove it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom