Should I treat my chicks for coccidiosis???

Also I am using medicated starter feed which has amprolium in it.. on the back of the bag it says "warning: used as the sole source of Amprolium". Does this mean that if I were to start the chicks on Corid, I would have to feed them non-medicated starter feed???

Also I am using medicated starter feed which has amprolium in it.. on the back of the bag it says "warning: used as the sole source of Amprolium". Does this mean that if I were to start the chicks on Corid, I would have to feed them non-medicated starter feed???

Simple answer. Yes. If you are feeding amprolium based medicated feed you would not also use Corid.

Why? (For those who would like to understand the reasons behind the meds):
Amprolium is the medication in both medicated feed (most that you get off the shelf at the feed store) as well as Corid. It is the amount that differs.

Medicated feed is meant to merely keep the growth of coccida protozoa slowed down (through starving them of vitamin B) so that the bird's natural immune system takes over. It is not meant to kill off all of the protozoa as you want your animal to gain natural immunity to the protozoa since coccida live in the soil, pretty much everywhere.

By 16 to 18 weeks, you switch to non-medicated layer feed, as by then, the adult system has developed immunity against the strain of coccidia that is in your soil. (Be forewarned, there are many strains of coccidia, which is why you should never share soil or tromp between farms as you introduce a new strain your bird is NOT resistant to).

Corid is much higher strength of amprolium that wipes out most/all of the coccidia in a bird's system. It is used for when you have a severe outbreak of coccidiosis to prevent death of the animal. It is essential to clean all litter as the oocysts (the coccidia eggs) are in the soil and will merely hatch out new protozoa for subsequent outbreaks. The chicken completes the cycle as it ingests oocysts, which hatch protozoa, which feed off the blood in the gut to then lay more oocysts which go out in the fecal matter further infecting the environment...I've simplified this explanation, you can see the full life cycle in the link below).

Therefore, you don't use both medicated feed and Corid as they are for different purposes and technically, though there is large tolerance, you can over treat.

However, I highly doubt you are dealing with coccidiosis in this one chick as its behavior started days from hatching. Coccidiosis takes several weeks to develop symptoms as the protozoa have to have long enough to complete the life cycle...you've also been feeding medicated feed already in days old chicks. I doubt you've got a coccidia cycle going on yet.

As your chicks are only 1 week of age, I think you have a "failure to thrive" situation in this one chick rather than flock wide coccidiosis. (If they were 3 weeks of age, I would be suggesting coccidiosis). In a newly hatched, 1 week old chick, failure to thrive is typically caused from lingering bacterial infection from hatching or simply internal structural failure within the chick.

If you are trying to avoid medications, using Corid would likely be overkill at this point simply because you have not had time enough for a true outbreak of Coccidiosis since the life cycle takes about 2 weeks to get to "clinical stage"...gut infection.

Personally, I would keep all the chicks on the medicated feed, then treat this one chick with eyedropper oregano oil, garlic, and vitamin chick saver. Since it is not growing as fast and acting extra sleepy and lethargic, it has the classic signs of "failure to thrive."

Be prepared that some failure to thrive come around with TLC while others do not.

If any other chicks begin to act ruffled, peep a lot, sleepy, then I would definitely put all on Corid and normal non-medicated feed according to the instructions for chicks.

Good luck with your little chick.
LofMc

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/2/Coccidiosis Management/41/life-cycle-and-types-of-coccidia/

I am going to have to disagree with the timing here. I have seen many many cases of Coccidiosis in week old chicks.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...-poultry/41/life-cycle-and-types-of-coccidia/

Life Cycle and Types of Coccidia
Knowing how coccidia develop helps to understand and control the disease. Coccidiosis is caused in poultry by a one-celled parasite of the genus Eimeria. The life cycle of Eimeria takes about four to seven days to complete. It begins when active “oocysts” are picked up by the bird and swallowed. An “oocyst” is a capsule with a thick wall protecting the parasites. They “sporulate” or become infective if moisture, temperature, and oxygen become conducive to growth. After a bird eats the oocysts, coccidia imbed in the intestinal lining and multiply several times, damaging tissue.

Truly understood @KikisGirls

I'm not saying that it could never happen, but the strain would have to be especially "virulent" and fast acting (I have personally been challenged by those in the know to statements that very young chicks exhibit coccidiosis...and after reading more about the disease, I have to agree they were right).

If you read further down in that same article, you will see:

"Coccidiosis is usually a disease of young birds, but birds can be infected at any time if never before exposed. Coccidia populations take time to build to dangerous levels, therefore outbreaks usually occur when birds are between 3 and 8 weeks of age. Coccidiosis goes hand-in-hand with gut diseases, because it damages the gut and allows bacteria to enter and cause secondary infections. Coccidia are “species-specific” – coccidia that affect chickens do not affect other livestock, and vice versa (see Species-Specific Parasites box)."

Therefore, I have to stand by my original statement that it is unlikely to be coccidiosis in a chick that, today, is 1 week old (as OP posted) and had been showing symptoms for a number of days and has already been on medicated start since a day old or so.

But I don't rule out that the possibility that the chick happened to be infected at the hatchery site or shortly thereafter with a particularly virulent strain...remember we are only dealing with 7 days of life....it would have to be showing symptoms as of 5 days or so. And if it is that virulent, I should think the others would be showing symptoms too.

I think there are other possibilities that should be considered as well with the age and history of care.

My thoughts. I respectfully understand there are different view points.

LofMc

@Lady of McCamley I have agreed with everything you have said, that I have come across with, on this site before.
So don't take this the wrong way.

If said chick was a little on the weaker side right at hatch it could show signs very quickly..with in days, not weeks.

If vitamins have been given at all they have knocked out the medicated feed, and they could have been feeding the Coccidiosis, making them thrive even more.

OP You have already used the medicated feed so if I were you I would stop feeding that.
Drop all vitamins....And start Corid before it's too late.

If it is Coccidiosis you will see improvement and if it is not you wont see improvement but you will know you tried.

It is worth a try.

No offense taken in any way....I'm just relating information I've learned from experts.

Corid treatment certainly won't hurt, I agree. And if it is a weakly chick that has coccidia overgrowth, albeit at a very early age, it would be crucial for its survival.

But Corid won't address bacterial issues, and that is my concern as it is, imho, likely it could have a lingering bacterial infection. That too overtakes a little chick very quickly and is the number one reason for loss during the first week of hatch.

For this type of chick, I personally use Sulmet or the Di-Methox...you cover both bases quickly and can save a little one who is struggling.

As always, good thoughts provided by all as we collectively come together to support chicken care.
LofMc

I am not familiar with bacterial infections in new chicks so I really can't comment on them, If Op could get the meds you are talking about that would be wonderful!

Hmm, now who to believe??? Lol ;);):p I am very inexperienced with chicken stuff (as you can see by the many questions im asking;)) because this is our first time ever having chickens so I have NO clue who is right!! lol I think I probably could go either way though... I could try the Corid and it might work and cure the chick or it might not work and the chick would maybe die anyway and I aslo run the risk of killing all the chicks by overdosing since they have already been eating medicated food... OR I could wait it out and keep feeding the medicated feed and oregano and the oregano would maybe work if it was a bacterial infection but if the chick DID have coccidiosis, obviously the oregano wouldn't do the job and the chick would probably die... so I think it could go either way, both ways have benefits and disadvantages...
both of you gave very well researched answers though and I really appreciate that!! You guys really know your stuff!! :) I'm so glad I asked on here because otherwise I probably would have done the wrong thing and ended up harming my chicks:(

Simple answer. Yes. If you are feeding amprolium based medicated feed you would not also use Corid.

Why? (For those who would like to understand the reasons behind the meds):
Amprolium is the medication in both medicated feed (most that you get off the shelf at the feed store) as well as Corid. It is the amount that differs.

Medicated feed is meant to merely keep the growth of coccida protozoa slowed down (through starving them of vitamin B) so that the bird's natural immune system takes over. It is not meant to kill off all of the protozoa as you want your animal to gain natural immunity to the protozoa since coccida live in the soil, pretty much everywhere.

By 16 to 18 weeks, you switch to non-medicated layer feed, as by then, the adult system has developed immunity against the strain of coccidia that is in your soil. (Be forewarned, there are many strains of coccidia, which is why you should never share soil or tromp between farms as you introduce a new strain your bird is NOT resistant to).

Corid is much higher strength of amprolium that wipes out most/all of the coccidia in a bird's system. It is used for when you have a severe outbreak of coccidiosis to prevent death of the animal. It is essential to clean all litter as the oocysts (the coccidia eggs) are in the soil and will merely hatch out new protozoa for subsequent outbreaks. The chicken completes the cycle as it ingests oocysts, which hatch protozoa, which feed off the blood in the gut to then lay more oocysts which go out in the fecal matter further infecting the environment...I've simplified this explanation, you can see the full life cycle in the link below).

Therefore, you don't use both medicated feed and Corid as they are for different purposes and technically, though there is large tolerance, you can over treat.

However, I highly doubt you are dealing with coccidiosis in this one chick as its behavior started days from hatching. Coccidiosis takes several weeks to develop symptoms as the protozoa have to have long enough to complete the life cycle...you've also been feeding medicated feed already in days old chicks. I doubt you've got a coccidia cycle going on yet.

As your chicks are only 1 week of age, I think you have a "failure to thrive" situation in this one chick rather than flock wide coccidiosis. (If they were 3 weeks of age, I would be suggesting coccidiosis). In a newly hatched, 1 week old chick, failure to thrive is typically caused from lingering bacterial infection from hatching or simply internal structural failure within the chick.

If you are trying to avoid medications, using Corid would likely be overkill at this point simply because you have not had time enough for a true outbreak of Coccidiosis since the life cycle takes about 2 weeks to get to "clinical stage"...gut infection.

Personally, I would keep all the chicks on the medicated feed, then treat this one chick with eyedropper oregano oil, garlic, and vitamin chick saver. Since it is not growing as fast and acting extra sleepy and lethargic, it has the classic signs of "failure to thrive."

Be prepared that some failure to thrive come around with TLC while others do not.

If any other chicks begin to act ruffled, peep a lot, sleepy, then I would definitely put all on Corid and normal non-medicated feed according to the instructions for chicks.

Good luck with your little chick.
LofMc

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/2/Coccidiosis Management/41/life-cycle-and-types-of-coccidia/

Thank you so much for all your helpful info and advice LofMc! I really appreciate it that you took the time to put research into your reply and even included a link to that article! It helps to know how the coccidiosis bacteria works! I don't have any non medicated feed in the house right now so I can't start Corid even if I wanted to...
thank you! I hope she makes it, she has become my favorite!!

Truly understood @KikisGirls

I'm not saying that it could never happen, but the strain would have to be especially "virulent" and fast acting (I have personally been challenged by those in the know to statements that very young chicks exhibit coccidiosis...and after reading more about the disease, I have to agree they were right).

If you read further down in that same article, you will see:

"Coccidiosis is usually a disease of young birds, but birds can be infected at any time if never before exposed. Coccidia populations take time to build to dangerous levels, therefore outbreaks usually occur when birds are between 3 and 8 weeks of age. Coccidiosis goes hand-in-hand with gut diseases, because it damages the gut and allows bacteria to enter and cause secondary infections. Coccidia are “species-specific” – coccidia that affect chickens do not affect other livestock, and vice versa (see Species-Specific Parasites box)."

Therefore, I have to stand by my original statement that it is unlikely to be coccidiosis in a chick that, today, is 1 week old (as OP posted) and had been showing symptoms for a number of days and has already been on medicated start since a day old or so.

But I don't rule out that the possibility that the chick happened to be infected at the hatchery site or shortly thereafter with a particularly virulent strain...remember we are only dealing with 7 days of life....it would have to be showing symptoms as of 5 days or so. And if it is that virulent, I should think the others would be showing symptoms too.

I think there are other possibilities that should be considered as well with the age and history of care.

My thoughts. I respectfully understand there are different view points.

LofMc

The chicks were born last Monday so tomorrow they will be 10 days old... and this chick started showing symptoms on Saturday or Sunday...

Back
Top Bottom