Should we cull ?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
Our new hampshire red, I feel, I feel bad for him. The pullets don't wanna be around him and panic around him. All because of his horrible mating attempts. He tries to hold them which I believe causes pain for them as they try to flee, and Melvin (top roo) chases him off and around the frontyard. The cochin roo doesn't even come out of the coop that much anymore because he knows he will be chased by Melvin when he eats or trys to mate. Melvin chased the hamp red roo into a corner, and I shooed Melvin away because if I didn't I bet he would of hurt him.
I've already had Charlie taken away, because FINALLY my mom believed me. Charlie flogged her and she kept saying "oh i cant believe he would do that to me!", all I could do was shake my head. It's weird having a roo go to an auction, I saw how some guys were handling some chickens by grabbing their legs and putting them head first in the cages. All that could cause is fear not a bond. I was afraid the person who won the bid on Charlie was going to handle him like that! Nightmares
sad.png
We always hold our chickens like you would hold a dog.
We think... Maybe cull Melvin? Melvin is so gosh darn mean, Charlie wasn't even like Melvin. Melvin will not split the flock, at least Charlie did. Everyday it's like the red is in constant fear and is alone alot too... I'm so thankful I seperated my silkie roo, knowing Melvin he could have injured him badly. Melvin is a light sussex, is the breed known to be mean?
But Melvin is the only succsessful mater! I want chicks to be hatched this year and Melvin gets like half the flock a day! We payed 20 bucks for Melvin though, and we don't know where or what is the best roo for our girls.

I'd remove the other roo for a while and see if Melvin calms down a bit. If he is around 6 months, that is just the typical idiot roo age, you should give him a little more time in that case.

Depends in how old melvin is. If he is young thats just what the do. You could also try and separate melvin for a few days to let the other roos to establish themselves in the flock and it will knock melvin down on the list. My hens dont let the sub roo mate with them so that might be what it is when they run from him. taking melvin our for a few days will help with that i believe.

ohh his age... that explains alot. imagine melvin as a large, muscular, jock-type who has some jealousy issues. charlie was a year old. but the rest of the roos are the same age as melvin

Quote:
Ya my BO cockerel is big like that too. He is the first one to go after new chickens and he can be a pain in the butt sometimes. He doesn't like my SLW cockerel mate with anyone without him either standing there making sure no one gets hurt or he pushes him off. Hes a little crazy.

Back
Top Bottom