Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That works but if you miss it by a day you could have multiple ruined stags.

Last edited:
that looks like one stable chick

You can keep larger groups together (6+ individuals) of birds that can not be kept in groups of 2 to 3. To pull off I introduce them into a henhouse 20' x 20' at the same time early in the morning and as you would predict a battle royal ensues. Doing so on a Saturday for me enables frequent checking throughout the day. The individual dust ups will be prone to interference from other combatants. Seldom do you get past noon before pecking order is worked out and most of the scrapping is done within about 15 minutes of the introduction. The outcome is usually similar to what you see by mixing flocks of dominickers which even typical backyard folks do. We used to keep pullets in groups of 50 without too much damage as such were even used for some meager egg production. Pullets / hens that get down are often in poor shape anyway and should not be kept. Spurred hens might have had advantage in causing damage but we never saw logic in selecting for that phenotype as it had no apparent bearing on the male side phenotype.
lmao... Okay so a fat well cared laying hen is not healthy if she likes to battle? I must not have any good hens, and didn't even breed half of them. So who knows what phenotype was bred for. Pecking order is something than can be established when you have hens that will submit after defeat, I do not. It's not fun, but I know the stags they produce are dead game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom