Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a hen hatch 1 egg the chick went in the next pen and was immediately killed by the hen in that pen. Since then they been enemies no problems beforehand
Sounds like they hold a grudge.

Didn't even know he was a game fowl lol. And his offspring.

In the pen the BR hen seems to be dominant because she's always instigating stand-offs and the other hens tend to back down. When they were free ranging in the trees the ivory grey hen would always be highest & on the same limb with the rooster, so the behavior inside the pen contradicts the pecking order I noticed in the yard. Nonetheless, I'm going to keep them separated when breeding. I might just go ahead and put one nesting box in the pen now with a few golf balls in it, or maybe even an egg from the store, and see how they react. I have a PTZ camera in the pen so I can watch them when I'm inside or away from the house.
Might be too late to be laying or brooding eggs. Most mine stopped laying this year... If you live in cold area you may want to wait until next year.

Pecking order can be fickle and changing, especially if environment is changing.

Another issue with brooding hens together is the mama hen will sit on nest with her chicks... if there are eggs in the nest they will go bad, after she gets up off them.

Ok, so here's some updated photos, just in case anyone wants a better look to help me figure out what they might be mixed with. I've been told by someone that my original hen was a Red, not a Grey. That kinda blew my mind so I don't know what to think now.lol This BR cock hasn't yet sired anything. Only the "ivory" hen was hatched under my watch. The other three are anybody's guess.

Ditto cock looks all or part redquill 2nd to last and last pic (not the dark one that one looks brownred) of the hen appear to have or be redquill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom