Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Quote:
I am not laughing. I am only giggling.
gig.gif

I did the same thing with other chicks. Dang, it took forever to figure them out! Anyway, you should see a little color very soon. It doesn't take long.

Quote:
gig.gif

I did the same thing with other chicks. Dang, it took forever to figure them out! Anyway, you should see a little color very soon. It doesn't take long.

I know- can't believe I didn't notice that one was all white. I hope it shows itself SOON!

Quote:
gig.gif

I know- can't believe I didn't notice that one was all white. I hope it shows itself SOON!

Pretty sure they were getting some color in their wings when you picked them up.....check them out and see

Color- yes, check under the wings and around the tail, there should be something by now. If not, choose the snoopiest, friendliest, most personable one out of that group, and I bet it will be a Del!
gig.gif

Well- I'm hoping the other chicks don't sell until I figure it out! This is the craziest bunch of chicks I've ever had. None of the buffs or reds are solid color at this point- even one of the yellow chicks is gettng a pattern. Crazy.

Hi again! 2 questions, 1. When do Delawares start to lay? 2. 2 of my Delaware girls are almost white while the other 2 have nice dark patterns, which are they supposed to have?

Thanks, Gerbil

Gerbil, can you post some pics? The hens are supposed to have visible markings - barring on the hackles and the main tail is to be black feathers outlined in white, but no one can tell you if they are the correct markings or not without some kind of description or a picture. Any columbian patterning is incorrect. How old are your girls?

I had one hen laying at 17 1/2 weeks, the rest filled in - I think they were all laying within a few weeks of that.

bad pic of the hens, I will get a better one tomorrow, they were getting ready to bunker down for the night.

61450_img_9684.jpg

They are about 9 weeks.

Last edited:
Gerbil, yes, if you could get closer to the hens and get those two roos out of the way, it would help.
The roo on the right looks suspiciously like it has more columbian type markings than barring on the hackles. Keep an eye on that boy-
smile.png

The pullet in the back corner looks like she has barred hackles, but a better shot would tell more. At 9 weeks, they are still going to molt out some of the smut and their tail feathers can change a lot.
Thanks for posting that pic, though, I am in love with the pretty face on that pullet in the back corner.

Back
Top Bottom