Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

People have reported getting Delaware chicks from Privett hatchery in the past. They turned out to look pretty good and they really liked them.

Do these not look almost the same!

I did that with Isaac when he was a mere 15 weeks old. His tail angle changed with aging, certainly. Here was Ike's comparison photo, though I left out the standard one in this post:

It's amazing when you see what the standard really is and compare today's hatchery Delawares to it. I've seen so much bad wing carriage and bad leg color, even in some breeder stock from breeders with names people in Delaware circles know. The photos from the standard should always be foremost in our minds when we are culling for type. I don't breed them any longer, but you never forget what a proper Delaware looks like once you've seen a great one-it's just that there are so few great ones, even so few good ones.

Last edited:
He looks like chicken to me!!!  :lau

1f606.png
1f604.png
1f603.png
1f600.png
1f60a.png
1f61d.png
1f61c.png
1f61b.png
1f602.png
1f605.png

People have reported getting Delaware chicks from Privett hatchery in the past. They turned out to look pretty good and they really liked them.
good layers but not too much looks like a standard Del though, look like del patterned pro reds or equiv. or del patterned leghornXs but lay lots of big brown eggs though

Jeff

Well - no eggs yesterday so we had the Management elimination meeting and I threatened to put this sign up on the coop wall so all could see from feeder / nest area.

We got six today- so sometimes fear works - or maybe its just the timer light I put in that comes on at 4 AM LOL . Now they getting up before the chickens .

Looks like a Delaware cross. The tail feathers being not really barred, nor with proper black tail feathers with white edging as a pure Dellie pullet should have, give that cross part away. I have made that cross many times and they look very much like this with sort of splotchy markings on the tail feathers. Some Delaware pullets DO have tail barring like a cockerel until they hit around 12-13 weeks old and then they usually molt those out and get proper tail black.

This is Serena, who is only 1/2 Delaware. Her other half is 1/4 BLRW and 1/4 Ameraucana, but you'd never know it. The Dellie coloring is a very strong influence.

And her full brother so you can see the tail feathers like Kika's that are not really barred.

Last edited:
Well - no eggs yesterday so we had the Management elimination meeting and I threatened to put this sign up on the coop wall so all could see from feeder / nest area.

We got six today- so sometimes fear works - or maybe its just the timer light I put in that comes on at 4 AM LOL . Now they getting up before the chickens .
I like this one!!!!

Back
Top Bottom