SHOW OFF YOUR YUM! Food Photography Thread

Does anybody make their own fries

I like to make 2-step oven fries.

Step one: take your raw potato batons and par cook them in boiling water.
While they are softening, heat the oven to 450. When the potatoes are a firm al dente, drain them and set them aside.

Step 2: Put a few table spoons of oil on your empty baking sheet and stick it in the pre-heated oven for a few minutes. This part is really important! It gets the oil and the pan nice and hot which is the key to crispy oven fries. Once your oiled pan is hot, add the par-cooked potatoes in a single layer. Season liberally with salt. Bake for 20 minutes. Toss/ flip on the pan a bit then bake them for another five minutes. and BAM french fry goodness. No frier needed.

Recipe (with more details) available here:
https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/10/oven-fries/

While they are softening, heat the oven to 450. When the potatoes are a firm al dente, drain them and set them aside.

Step 2: Put a few table spoons of oil on your empty baking sheet and stick it in the pre-heated oven for a few minutes. This part is really important! It gets the oil and the pan nice and hot which is the key to crispy oven fries. Once your oiled pan is hot, add the par-cooked potatoes in a single layer. Season liberally with salt. Bake for 20 minutes. Toss/ flip on the pan a bit then bake them for another five minutes. and BAM french fry goodness. No frier needed.

Done them in a cast iron skillet or deep fat fryer but never washed them in hot water bet I will next time always willing to try something better for my BF he is diabetic

:thumbsup
Thanks! This is exactly the kinda thing I was hoping for. Is that your website?

super-bowl-l11-jpg.1255994
YUMMY-METER-FARMER-CONNIE.gif

:goodpost::woot

Does anybody make their own fries or hashbrowns??? I'd like to start, but am looking for pointers.

I started a batch of chili yesterday in the slow cooker. The house smells AMAZING!!! Will snap a pic for you later Connie.

Cut up/shred the potatoes and soak in cold water for a few hours. Drain them. Hashbrowns squeeze the water out of them. Which ever one put on clean dishtowel or paper towels, just want to dry them a bit. Hashbrowns ready to cook and serve. French fries are fried once with the oil at 300 drained, put on more paper towels, the fried again at 375.

Back
Top Bottom