Pinkyswear

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2022
I have an approximately 2-year old Plymouth Barred Rock hen. She has been, up til now, a perfectly healthy bird and a good layer.

Earlier this month, I noticed she was laying down a lot in the coop - I figured she was simply broody. However, her bottom was somewhat messy and she seemed unenthusiastic about food or water. We recently lost another bird (found her stiff under the coop, no bites or injuries so death is a mystery) so I erred on the side of caution and took her to the vet. They gave her a cocktail of B-12, antibiotics and steroids to be given over the course of ten days. I also had her isolated in a brooder box. She turned right around and began acting normally again, and after about 6 days she even laid an egg (which she broke by stepping on, lol). That Wednesday I put her back out with the other hens and she was fine, but by Saturday had regressed. She would not stand (even when I tried to hold her up), no eating or drinking and I had to give her water myself because otherwise she wouldn't. We went back to the vet. Another round of the same meds. She has recovered again after only 3 days on her medication. But I don't want to go through this loop of her getting sick, getting on meds, finishing them, getting sick again, etc. Has this ever happened to anyone else on here? I have not found any injuries on her, her legs are fine, no scaly leg mites, no bug bites. They tested her droppings this last time and found no parasites and said her poop was normal. Her comb is bright red, her eyes are alert, she is otherwise acting normally, she just - won't stand up, won't eat, and won't drink. Help!

Update: She has finished her medication and had once again regressed. She doesn't seem to have touched her water all day and I offered her a hard boiled egg, which she didn't really want. She just clicked her beak and turned away. Does anyone have any advice? I don't know what else I can do without any answers. She hasn't laid, her droppings still look normal and she's gone through two rounds of antibiotics so any kind of bacterial infection is probably out. She isn't lethargic per se, she's just uninterested.
What antibiotic did you use and how much were you giving her each day and for how many days did you give it?

Not all antibiotics are equal.
If she hasn't been laying it's possible she has a nasty infection in her reproductive tract and sometimes antibiotics cannot cure those.

Thank you! My girls are essentially pets that give me eggs, lol…so losing her would devastate me. Speaking of which, we did lose one of our girls at the end of May so maybe the loss in the flock had some effect. Plus the weather here in socal has been awful.

We’ve been putting nutri-drench in her water when we’re not giving it to her directly. She just finished the last of her medication today. I’ll keep her indoors a few more days to see how she recovers and will keep everyone updated ☺️

Update: She has finished her medication and had once again regressed. She doesn't seem to have touched her water all day and I offered her a hard boiled egg, which she didn't really want. She just clicked her beak and turned away. Does anyone have any advice? I don't know what else I can do without any answers. She hasn't laid, her droppings still look normal and she's gone through two rounds of antibiotics so any kind of bacterial infection is probably out. She isn't lethargic per se, she's just uninterested.
Well, I'm both curious and stumped. I'm going to tag a few folks who are far more knowledgeable than I am! @azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @Kiki
...any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom