sick chick died fast

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yadaguhtoo, Jun 15, 2011.

1. yadaguhtoo

yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Well I am sad and don't know what happened. I had four chicks hatch out 5 days ago (incubated). I went into check on them this morning and they all looked healthy eating and running around. Checked on them in the afternoon still great, then early this evening one of them looked lethargic and was in the corner by itself and then died within 5 hours. It seemed to have a little diarrhea kind of yellow and white. Does anybody know what might have happened? I hope no more get sick:(

2. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Sometimes these things just happen, if I were you I would clean the cage out ASAP and keep a close eye on the others. What are you feeding them?

3. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    I am feeding them chick starter which I have also been feeding to my 5 week old chicks and they are fine. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. My brooder box is clean:) I guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed on the other 3, they still look healthy and happy.

4. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Yea, like I said it just happens sometimes...I think its called FTT (Fail To Thrive) syndrome, some chicks are just too fragile for this harsh world. Keep your hopes up and I have my fingers crossed for the rest of your fuzzy butts! [​IMG]

5. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Thank you:)

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. Don't worry it happens to most of us who hatch at one time or another. I have lost a few chicks for unknown reasons, so to me it just wasn't meant to be.

7. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Thank you cmom. All the rest are still happy this morning, so hopefully no more losses:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by