Sick chick

Fcarter

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2017
I have a chick that started hatching on Sunday and I finally helped him out on Tuesday . He is very weak but very vocal and hardly moves. His left side doesn't seem to move at all. We have tried him on some egg yolk but no change. How can I help him? Should I massage his weak side? Keep hand feeding, and if so what? He is still in the incubator .
Thanks

Attachments

• 20221018_113708.jpg
    20221018_113708.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 7
I have a chick that started hatching on Sunday and I finally helped him out on Tuesday . He is very weak but very vocal and hardly moves. His left side doesn't seem to move at all. We have tried him on some egg yolk but no change. How can I help him? Should I massage his weak side? Keep hand feeding, and if so what? He is still in the incubator .
Thanks
Is his wings and such glued down from sticky stuff that was left over inside the egg? Looks like maybe he needs to be cleaned up? If so that stuff is basically like cement. All that membrane needs to come off.. perhaps a warm wet cloth will help. Just be careful not to chill him too much.

Are you in the US? Are you able to get poultry nutri drench?

Vocal is calling for friends or mum. Possibly also hunger setting in.

How are you administering the egg yolk.

:fl

Is his wings and such glued down from sticky stuff that was left over inside the egg? Looks like maybe he needs to be cleaned up? If so that stuff is basically like cement. All that membrane needs to come off.. perhaps a warm wet cloth will help. Just be careful not to chill him too much.

Are you in the US? Are you able to get poultry nutri drench?

Vocal is calling for friends or mum. Possibly also hunger setting in.

How are you administering the egg yolk.

:fl
I have started with sugar water. Dipping his beak in . Will work on the coating on his feathers. Will also look for the nutri drench. Thank so much. I am so very worried about j

I agree, he may do better once you clean him up.

That membrane/mater is like cement as mentioned and it can inhibit movement.
First try lightly brushing with a soft bristle brush like an old toothbrush or baby brush. If the material doesn't come off, then you may need to wash him.

But...prep for bathing first. I use the bathroom to wash tiny chicks if I HAVE to. I get the bathroom warm first, make sure I have my towels ready, hairdryer handy, water is warm. IF needed, a mild soap (usually not need). Wash gently, use that soft brush to help work that crud off. Dry baby. Dry Very Well. Use the hairdryer, but wave it over him, constantly moving the dryer. Fluff him up.

Put him back in the brooder under his warm spot. Give warmed sugar water and wet feed.

I agree, he may do better once you clean him up.

That membrane/mater is like cement as mentioned and it can inhibit movement.
First try lightly brushing with a soft bristle brush like an old toothbrush or baby brush. If the material doesn't come off, then you may need to wash him.

But...prep for bathing first. I use the bathroom to wash tiny chicks if I HAVE to. I get the bathroom warm first, make sure I have my towels ready, hairdryer handy, water is warm. IF needed, a mild soap (usually not need). Wash gently, use that soft brush to help work that crud off. Dry baby. Dry Very Well. Use the hairdryer, but wave it over him, constantly moving the dryer. Fluff him up.

Put him back in the brooder under his warm spot. Give warmed sugar water and wet feed.
He seems a bit better after having a few rounds of sugar water. I have been wiping him with warm damp cotton balls and it has helped a little bit. After I wipe him down I wrap him in a warm towel and rock him til he he is dried and warm. I will try giving him a bath this evening if it isnt loosening up by then. Thank you so much!

I gave him a bath but didn't get much improvement. He still feels a bit matted but he really doesn't seen to have much fluff about him at all. His left leg is still a problem . It seems to move at the hip but nowhere else. What can I try and feed him? He can barely take it sugar water. He is definitely too weak it be in his brooder. How can I help him?

Back
Top Bottom