Sick chicken for a week

So I checked her vent and there was nothing hard. And she did poop or diarrhea all over after, brown smelly liquid. I just wish I knew what was going on. If she accidentally ate something toxic it would be out of her system by now. crop is empty, vent is all clear. no mites or lice. What else is there?

Side note, Another one of our chickens, almost a year old we think, just suddenly died last Sunday, and that's when this chicken, Feather, got sick.
The mystery continues...
Photos of the poop?
When you examined her, did you notice any swelling between her legs below the vent?
Compare her to a couple of other hens if you need to.

I'm sorry to hear you lost another one recently. What do you feed? Do they free range?
Any chance she ate something rotten or moldy?

Photos of the poop?
When you examined her, did you notice any swelling between her legs below the vent?
Compare her to a couple of other hens if you need to.

I'm sorry to hear you lost another one recently. What do you feed? Do they free range?
Any chance she ate something rotten or moldy?

I didn't take a picture of her poop, but it was light brown liquid. I actually did look all over, and she is so boney it's bad. I gave her some scrambled eggs and she had one small bite. When I put her back in the crate her head went down so fast her beak hit the floor and I felt so bad. She can barely stay awake.
I did put some pepper slices out there and maybe they got moldy but would she be sick this long from that? We have a avocado tree and I thought maybe the leaves or buds might be toxic but no one seems to know.

I didn't take a picture of her poop, but it was light brown liquid. I actually did look all over, and she is so boney it's bad. I gave her some scrambled eggs and she had one small bite. When I put her back in the crate her head went down so fast her beak hit the floor and I felt so bad. She can barely stay awake.
I did put some pepper slices out there and maybe they got moldy but would she be sick this long from that? We have a avocado tree and I thought maybe the leaves or buds might be toxic but no one seems to know.
I'm sorry she is not doing well :hugs

Did you feel of her abdomen for any swelling?
I would think if ingestion of leaves/buds from the tree is the problem, your other chickens would be sick too.

Yes that's what we thought. I'll keep you posted but I don't think she is going to make it
I'm sorry.
Since she is declining further and it's been a week, you may want to consider going ahead and putting her out of her misery. I understand it might be a hard thing to do, but if you feel like she's not going to make it, then no need to let her linger.

If you do lose her, getting a necropsy through your state lab will give you some answers. If you are up to it, you can do your own informal investigation to see if there's anything unusual going on with the internal organs. https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Bu...on-Animal-Disease-Diagnostic-Laboratory-BADDL

I'm sorry.
Since she is declining further and it's been a week, you may want to consider going ahead and putting her out of her misery. I understand it might be a hard thing to do, but if you feel like she's not going to make it, then no need to let her linger.

If you do lose her, getting a necropsy through your state lab will give you some answers. If you are up to it, you can do your own informal investigation to see if there's anything unusual going on with the internal organs. https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Bu...on-Animal-Disease-Diagnostic-Laboratory-BADDL
Thanks for that information.

Yea my husband asked if I wanted him to put her out of her misery but for selfish reasons I'd rather her die on her own then by us killing her. I'd always wonder what if she was to get better even though I highly doubt it will happen. Her comb is getting darker and she is just so weak.
Do you think she is in pain or suffering? That's the only thing I wonder, bc if she was I wouldn't want her to suffer.

Thanks for that information.

Yea my husband asked if I wanted him to put her out of her misery but for selfish reasons I'd rather her die on her own then by us killing her. I'd always wonder what if she was to get better even though I highly doubt it will happen. Her comb is getting darker and she is just so weak.
Do you think she is in pain or suffering? That's the only thing I wonder, bc if she was I wouldn't want her to suffer.
In my experience a comb getting darker in a sick hen it's a sign that there is a reduction in oxygen.

So sorry that you lost her. If you keep her body cool, you can get a necropsy by your state vet or poultry lab to see what was wrong. Many do home necropsies as well to look for reproductive problems or cancer. Take pictures of organs if you do that, and post them here for any opinions. But it is understandable if you want to just bury her.

Back
Top Bottom