Sick chicken for a week

The crop should be mostly empty in the morning. If it is not, it is not working well. It depends on how full it is if there is a real problem. If it is full, then give her fluids and a little yogurt and egg. Hold off on feed or whole grains. Massage the crop several times a day. Try giving a tsp of mineral oil, coconut oil or okive olil in food. They will eat pieces of cold coconut oil pretty well.

Can you tell us what the crop feel like now? Does it still feel like a bean bag?
In your photo, she is not well at all.
Photos of her poop?

Feel her abdomen, any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid?

Massage the crop after you give the olive oil. Make sure she has water available is at least being hydrated.
Have you felt inside the vent to see if you feel an egg? She may have a soft shelled egg in there she is having trouble to pass.

Seeking vet care is always best and getting a fecal float is a good idea. If she's been like this for several days and you exhaust all solutions, then consider putting her out of her misery.

I did feel her crop and there is nothing there. I massaged it and it just felt like saggy skin since she has definitely lost weight. Every hour I have been giving her raw egg, water with some b complex vitamin, and water with Pedialyte. She is so weak but takes it a little. I'm shocked she is still alive.
Her poop is diarrhea, was white in the beginning and now more clear.
I just need to build up the courage to look in her vent. I don't want to hurt her and I'm scared. I can't afford a vet.
Any tips or videos on how to check the vent would be helpful, also any tips on getting her to open her beak so I can get more fluids in her would be great.
Thanks!!

If you drip water beside her beak or if you dip her beak will she drink?

As for feeling inside the vent - glove up, use a small amount of lubricant (personal lubricant, vaseline, mineral oil) and insert a finger inside the vent about 1-2". She may poop. See if you feel anything like a hard shell in there.

If you drip water beside her beak or if you dip her beak will she drink?

As for feeling inside the vent - glove up, use a small amount of lubricant (personal lubricant, vaseline, mineral oil) and insert a finger inside the vent about 1-2". She may poop. See if you feel anything like a hard shell in there.
If I drop water or dip her beak she does sometimes but not always. I just keep trying til she at least takes some. She is asleep most of the time so I just pet her and stand her up.
Ok I may need a shot or 2 of vodka for the vent. If I feel something hard then what?
Thanks so much for your help!

Can you tell us what the crop feel like now? Does it still feel like a bean bag?
In your photo, she is not well at all.
Photos of her poop?

Feel her abdomen, any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid?

Massage the crop after you give the olive oil. Make sure she has water available is at least being hydrated.
Have you felt inside the vent to see if you feel an egg? She may have a soft shelled egg in there she is having trouble to pass.

Seeking vet care is always best and getting a fecal float is a good idea. If she's been like this for several days and you exhaust all solutions, then consider putting her out of her misery.
So I checked her vent and there was nothing hard. And she did poop or diarrhea all over after, brown smelly liquid. I just wish I knew what was going on. If she accidentally ate something toxic it would be out of her system by now. crop is empty, vent is all clear. no mites or lice. What else is there?

Side note, Another one of our chickens, almost a year old we think, just suddenly died last Sunday, and that's when this chicken, Feather, got sick.
The mystery continues...

there are good videos on what to do next....it isn't pretty and will probably need another couple shots, i use Kahlua :p
Hahaha yum. Well I was kinda hoping there was a egg so it could answer this mystery but it was soft. nothing was there. so I still have no idea what is going wrong.

Back
Top Bottom