Sick chicken

Smiley Chicks

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2015
Upstate NY
We have buff orpingtons and one seems to have lighter feathers a lot lighter than the others. She's outside but just sitting there not running around and eating . Does anyone might know the cause for this?

I am not sure feather color is an indication of illness. If you put a bowl of watery chicken feed in front of her, will she start eating it? How old is she? Is she having an diarrhea? Check to see what her crop feels like--empty, full, soft, firm or puffy. Look her skin around her vent and elsewhere for lice or mites which are very tiny tan bugs.

She's one year old this month and doesn't have a comb, crop or waddle, what little she does have isn't red. I'm trying to upload a picture of her but I can't seem to figure it out

It sounds like she probably has not started laying, and she may be delayed or not thrived due to some reproductive disorder or problem with immunity. Can you take some of her droppings into the bet to check her for coccidiosis and worms? You can feel your other chicken's crop in her right upper chest, then compare hers. If her crop is empty from not eating, it will fill flat or you won't feel anything. I really would try getting her to eat some chopped eggs and watery chicken feed. Some chickens may be low in pecking order and are weak from being kept feom food and water. Others may suffer from parasites or cocidiosis and become weak. Feed stores sell chicken vitqmins with electrolytes that you can add to their water. What are you feeding?

We feed nutrogena layer feed. We just moved her into the shed in a cage with straw away from other chickens. I mixed up some electrolytes and put in her water and food with sunflower seeds., also dug up some worms and she's eating them but not crazy like our other chickens would. Hopefully it's just some nourishment she needs but other hens are healthy. If she doesn't drink I'll use a plastic syringe to get her fluids. Thank you so much for your help and advice!

Back
Top Bottom