Sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Borkows, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Borkows

Borkows Hatching

Jun 13, 2018
    Conroe, Tx
    I purchased a new Igloo chicken coop with a run area and new adolescent chickens. I separated them from my exciting flock.. I believe due to overcrowding and lack of keeping coop clean, the chickens developed respiratory illness.. They have responded well to antibiotics and kept them away from my other chickens 2 weeks after antibiotic finished. However, I started letting them free range again and I am noticing respiratory symptoms in other birds. I hear a gurgle cough. The funny thing is these chickens are not lethargic. They eat well and lay eggs. Should worry about this cough?

KikisGirls likes this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Read more

Welcome to BYC.

Your new chicken probably came with a chicken disease (might be MG) and even though you helped her to get rid of her symptoms with medicine she is a carrier of the disease for life.
    And it sounds like the rest of your flock is now showing symptoms.

I am really sorry someone sold you a sick bird.

3. Borkows

Borkows Hatching

Jun 13, 2018
    Conroe, Tx
    Thank you for your reply. What is MG? Could this be bacterial pneumonia? Also, if this infection has not progressed to lethargy is it ok to be free range?

Pork Pie Ken likes this.
  4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Read more

Borkows and Pork Pie Ken like this.
  5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC. Respiratory issues can range from being nothing to worry about, to being a game-changer. Ultimately, a diagnosis from a vet is your only way to know for sure what you are dealing with.

This link may be interesting - http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Good luck

Borkows and KikisGirls like this.
  6. Borkows

Borkows Hatching

Jun 13, 2018
    Conroe, Tx
    Thank you very much for all your assistance. All this information is very helpful.
    Thanks again

KikisGirls likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: