Sick dog

Ozarkoak

Songster
Jul 18, 2022
North Central Arkansas
Been a stressful last few days. One of our Pyrenees dogs has been really sick. Laid on her side for 4 days not eating anything. Seemed like her back legs were not working quite right either. I have no Idea what was going on. We ended up giving her Dyne nutritional supplement with a sheep drenching syringe twice daily. She finally ate last night, some steak and chicken. She seemed really hungry so that was good. She is finally sitting up and holding her head up and not just laying on her side. Im thinking we are not out of the woods yet but she seems to be making progress. I got up really early the other morning with plans to bury her before my wife got up but she was still kicking. One tough broad.

Any vomiting or loss of control of bowels?
Nope none of that. It was so weird. One day she was fine the next day she didnt eat but was still active and the next day she was laying down. It seems that maybe today she has developed a cough but I cant be totally sure. It obvious she is very nauseous because the first few days she was drooling like a car sick dog. The drooling is 80% better but she is still not even close to eating right. I just went out with some chicken and she 100% refused. I'm frying up some burger right now. If that does not work I will make her another steak.

Sounds like a Vet visit is in order. She could be suffering from a range of problems like Lyme disease, pancreatitis or ??...and if she hasn't drank anything in the past four days, dehydration for sure.

Have you checked her temp? Is she up to date on vaccines? Could she have suffered a trauma like hit by car or other?

And if she's back to refusing food today, sounds like it's time for some diagnostics.

No way she could have been hit by a car. Her vaccines are up to date. She has been drinking and she is finally walking around not a lot but some. I just brought her out some ground beef and she ate that. Im thinking chicken is just not something she is really into right now. We made some bone broth from chicken carcasses and she seems to not mind that. The chicken she ate last night was picked off the bone from fried chicken, the chicken we offered her this morning was off the boiled carcass. I dont blame her so much for preferring fried chicken and steak to boiled carcass meat.

She needs to see a vet ASAP. I have mentioned this before, but I once cared for a dog that had some digestive issues. The vet had me feed him cooked hamburger and Minute Rice because it is nutritious and very easy to digest.

sounds like she could have had a seizure and she is coming out of it. all the people squawking about a vet are making you stressed unnecessarily. i find that vets are very unhelpful and charge way too much money. they are only good for surgery. i would look at her food she is getting and change it. make sure no grain food and i would look up raw food diet and stay away from the dogfood. turmeric ginger moringa vit c msm and overall vitamin supplement should help her. keep observing, and always treat what you see. you can also research homeopathics and essential oils just don't give them at the same time. our neighbors dog almost died and the vet did nothing for it, so they called me and i made up some homeopathics and gave them some essential oils and he recovered.

how old is she? the bigger dogs need extra supplementation and raw diet for their joints.

keep us updated on her condition. God bless you and your puppies.

Back
Top Bottom