Sick duck - can't walk, nostril discharge... is it bumblefoot or something else?

BirdPerson

In the Brooder
May 1, 2022
One of my ducks this morning (largest one, though <2 months old) was sitting very calm like a pancake while the others went out into their pool. I tried to see what was going on and he(?) started limping away. Could not fully stand up, and upon trying to waddle away, even fell over onto his back at one point. I don't have a whole lot of experience with bumblefoot so I honestly can't tell whether this is bumble or just calluses. There's also wetness inside the nostrils that leaks out sometimes, like a human cold.

He seemed totally fine up until this morning, and the other 3 ducks are also acting healthy. I'm prepared (mentally and with several youtube videos) to attempt foot surgery if necessary, but I'm also seeing pictures that look remarkably like these feet and the forums are saying "that's not bumble at all!" What else could it be?

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 12.31.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 12.31.07 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 12.31.52 PM.png

I quarantined him we try to figure out what to do, and he's back to just laying on his back quietly... 😢

Have you provided any niacin for your ducklings? Niacin def is very common in waterfowl babies and can cause limping and weakness in their legs. And only one V out of many can come down with it.

That isn’t bumble. If he can’t turn over on his own you turn him over. That place on his foot is like over growth of skin similar to a callus. There is a name for it I just can’t remember what it is.

Have you provided any niacin for your ducklings? Niacin def is very common in waterfowl babies and can cause limping and weakness in their legs. And only one V out of many can come down with it.
They eat Purina Duck feed + whatever they can find in the yard. I know, people have mixed feelings about Purina, but it's supposed to have the right amount of Niacin, right? Am I supposed to be giving them more?

I rolled him back over and he would immediately roll over onto his back. We did this at least 5 times before he finally agreed to sit upright.

Was drinking earlier when I held him up to the water, but now he's not interested in eating or drinking, just sitting there doing this silent thing where he rhythmically opens and closes his bill like clockwork, almost like panting (it's not hot right now; 60° and rainy)

Doing some more Googling and maybe it's toxoplasmosis???

More common symptoms in younger ducks, and one of the symptoms is that they flip over onto their back? There are cats that roam through the same yard as the ducks play in.

Purina duck pellets provide adequate niacin for drakes (usually) but not for growing ducklings or laying females. I think I just purchased a sack of deficient Purina duck pellets as I have just had 3 adult drakes show signs of niacin deficiency 5 days after starting a new sack of purina pellets. This is the first time this has happened in the 3 years I have had the drakes.

You must supplement your ducklings' pellets with nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast. Nutritional yeast contains a higher concentration of niacin, but is human food grade, and thus more expensive than brewer's yeast.. all your ducklings not just the sick duckling need the supplement until they are full grown. I would continue the supplement for laying females.

Best if you can see a vet to get a definitive diagnosis. But if not, pls start high level Vit B Complex (Durvet) from your feed store or Amazon. It is a livestock injectable preparation but we use it orally for ducks. Your duckling needs 1ml daily soaked into a treat or a few crumbles: you need to watch the duck to be sure the full dose is eaten.

Please update us on what a vet says, or on progress with home care

He passed away within about 24 hours of presenting symptoms. 😢
We tried feeding him some vitamin supplement for the niacin (he mostly wouldn't swallow it). During the rhythmic gasping you could see the glottis wide open, and he wasn't producing any vocal sounds. Not sure what to do with this info, and I'll never know for sure what it was, but I think something respiratory. Maybe even as simple as swallowing something he shouldn't have, or an infection. The symptoms came on so quickly and severely all at once. This article from an avian vet kind of confirms that a lot of what I saw matches some of many possible respiratory issues, and the birds tend to hide them until it's way too late.
Going to look out for the other 3 even more now, try to get rid of choking hazards, and make sure they get their vitamins....

Thanks for all the advice

Back
Top Bottom