Sick duck, possibly egg bound

hholzschu

Chirping
7 Years
May 23, 2012
Michigan
Last night my big duck had difficulty coming into the coop. I picked her up and her abdominal area appears swollen and distended. I’m not sure she’s egg bound but after watching a few videos I found she looks like she maybe. I read to give her some calcium and soak her and apply some lubrications to her vent. So I did give her some poultry drench I had on hand which has calcium in it and I soaked her in warm water for roughly and hour. I tried to manipulate her abdomen but wasn’t able to move anything. I caged her overnight and this morning soaked her and gave her some more drench. She seems to be moving a bit better and I placed her in a larger cage with food and water. I have no choice but to work today so she’s locked up by herself. My husband has checked on her and said she hasn’t laid an egg and seemed fine. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

She seemed good this morning and was up walking in the cage. My husband just checked a bit ago and thought she looked the same. I’m planning on pulling a bit more fluid off her tonight then I’ll leave that alone and see. I’ve been doing a bit of research on water belly and I’ll have to just see how she does.

I’m thinking it’s water belly. I can’t feel and egg at all and I did some research and tried to aspirate some fluid. I got this tannish fluid. No odor. It’s not puss just tan brown and had I had a bigger syringe I could have taken a lot off of her. She played in water and even cleaned herself when I put her back out in isolation. So tomorrow I’ll get a bigger syringe and see what I can get but I’m really thinking water belly.

Back
Top Bottom