Sophiam

Hatching
May 2, 2020
I recently got to American Peking ducks (they are around 5-6 weeks old) and they were so healthy! I clean their enclosure every other day, change their food every other day, and change their water 2 to 3 times a day.
I have been keeping them in my garage to protect them from the rain and cold weather that we had been having in WV and they also have a heat lamp. On sunny days I let them outside I have a huge yard and I live on a farm.

However, a few days ago one of my ducks abruptly stopped walking and he seemed very lethargic. Both developed diarrhea, I thought it could’ve been because of the grass they ate because they’d never had it before. The other duck is acting like his normal goofy self while the one I’m concerned about seems to be getting more and more weak.

He has been acting like this for three days though he has been eating well and drinking just fine (I set him in front of his food/water Bc he can’t walk). After doing some research I thought it might be coccidia so I bought CORID and gave the appropriate dosage. He doesn’t seem to be getting any better, although I just started the medicine this morning.

Also, he will not clean himself anymore it almost seems as if he doesn’t have the strength to and he can’t even stand up. He is extremely unbalanced (although he was fine 3 days ago) and uses his wings to try to stay upright when he tilts to one side. Sometimes his head just falls to the ground and he can’t lift it up. I’m extremely worried especially because I got them recently as pets and the ducks have such a close bond and extreme separation anxiety so I’m doing everything in my power to keep him healthy.

I have been putting the sick duck in a bath of slightly warm water to try to get him to paddle around to give him some strength back in his legs. He seems to enjoy it for a little bit but then clearly wants out.
Side note: This might be a personality thing but he never wanted to swim under the water like the other one even before the problem started occurring. He just enjoyed paddling on top of the water.

i’ve been doing so much research but it’s been extremely overwhelming especially since the symptoms can be related to so many things. If anyone has any suggestions please please please let me know.

Has it been warm in WV? It sounds like it could be Botulism.
I hope he starts feeling better.

It’s been rainy but I keep them inside when it does! I just researched it and it does sound like Botulism. Do you have any suggestions of what to do?

Hi, Welcome to BackYard Chickens

Some more information would be very helpful, what are you feeding them, any supplements, could they have been exposed to anything toxic wire, nails, maggots, moldy feed, stagnant water or rotting carcass? A video or picture would be very helpful.

To me, it sounds like the bird may have either eaten something toxic, or is deficient in thiamine which can cause seizures, wry neck, ataxia, and loss of appetite. I would like to see a video fist, but the Corid would need to be stopped if he has the latter, as Corid is a thiamine blocker, and could worsen her symptoms.

To upload your video, upload it to youtube or vimeo, and then copy/paste the link here.

Back
Top Bottom