Pics

HuskerHens18

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Chickenlandia
I purchased four, day old duckings February 25th.
Three are now very healthy, 100% covered in feathers.
Except for one. It was always a bit smaller, but never by much. I try not to handle the ducklings as I've always got filthy hands by the time I get to them to do chores. About four days ago I picked them up to carry them to my lone Indian Runner for introductions.
The black ducking's hip bones are so prominent and sharp, I can feel his spine all the way up and down, he stumbles over a lot, he's lightweight, but his breastbone isn't sharp or stuck out. He isnt well feathered either. I separated him for fear of disease, and the last two days his eyes are bald looking.
20180422_181445.jpg
20180422_181455.jpg
20180422_181510.jpg

Where my fingers are in the first two images is where the two bones are so sharply sticking up. Other than that there's nothing I can post pictures of. He has fresh water available 24/7, as well as Flock Raiser crumbles. (You can see a Silkie in the tub, don't worry that's not permanent, I'm currently cleaning their brooder and needed a place for them)
I'm still out here so if you need more pictures just let me know. I haven't done anything as far as treatment, because I honestly don't know what to do. He eats, drinks, poops, peeps. OH and he still peeps like a baby, the other three are quacking already.

I purchased four, day old duckings February 25th.
Three are now very healthy, 100% covered in feathers.
Except for one. It was always a bit smaller, but never by much. I try not to handle the ducklings as I've always got filthy hands by the time I get to them to do chores. About four days ago I picked them up to carry them to my lone Indian Runner for introductions.
The black ducking's hip bones are so prominent and sharp, I can feel his spine all the way up and down, he stumbles over a lot, he's lightweight, but his breastbone isn't sharp or stuck out. He isnt well feathered either. I separated him for fear of disease, and the last two days his eyes are bald looking.
View attachment 1351459 View attachment 1351460 View attachment 1351461
Where my fingers are in the first two images is where the two bones are so sharply sticking up. Other than that there's nothing I can post pictures of. He has fresh water available 24/7, as well as Flock Raiser crumbles. (You can see a Silkie in the tub, don't worry that's not permanent, I'm currently cleaning their brooder and needed a place for them)
I'm still out here so if you need more pictures just let me know. I haven't done anything as far as treatment, because I honestly don't know what to do. He eats, drinks, poops, peeps. OH and he still peeps like a baby, the other three are quacking already.
have you seen the others picking on it or treating it different?

have you seen the others picking on it or treating it different?
Not that I have seen, but there is a possibility since the duck brooder is in the garage, I don't see them all the time. Usually an hour each day. Ive considered maybe they push him out of the feed? They all eat while I'm in here, but since he's so bony it's crossed my mind that when I leave maybe the large ones pig out on it all.

I would watch them a bit to see what is going on. Just sit by the brooder after you have offered fresh food and water. I watch mine to see what interactions are taking place.
Do you offer them niacin or brewers yeast? Just asking since you said he stumbles.
I re-read and see that you have separated him - notice if he is eating ok?

I would watch them a bit to see what is going on. Just sit by the brooder after you have offered fresh food and water. I watch mine to see what interactions are taking place.
Do you offer them niacin or brewers yeast? Just asking since you said he stumbles.
I re-read and see that you have separated him - notice if he is eating ok?
I do not offer Niacin or Brewers Yeast, are they available at a TSC?
And yes, he's eating a ton. I have one of those chick feeders with the purple bottom you buy at TSC and he eats one of those in about a day and a half. He drinks great too, he honestly acts like a happy duck, he just doesn't look like it. He preens, in fact he's doing it now, cuddling with the silkies. Should I leave a silkie in with him? He's probably very lonely, I didn't think of that. Its kind of a small tub though

I do not offer Niacin or Brewers Yeast, are they available at a TSC?
And yes, he's eating a ton. I have one of those chick feeders with the purple bottom you buy at TSC and he eats one of those in about a day and a half. He drinks great too, he honestly acts like a happy duck, he just doesn't look like it. He preens, in fact he's doing it now, cuddling with the silkies. Should I leave a silkie in with him? He's probably very lonely, I didn't think of that. Its kind of a small tub though
Yes, you can get niacin at tsc. It's a liquid vitamin b. @CayugaJana has a good pic of it.
Ducks like to eat from bowls or dishes as they scoop the feed. You might want to take that into consideration. How is the water setup?
He would be lonely by himself, so leave him with the silkie or put him back with the other ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom