Sick goat and quail pipping "OH My"

gypsy2621

Songster
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
New Hampshire
Today has been the day from Hockey sticks let me tell you .
It all started at 7 this morning with Bailey ( pygmy goat) banging the wall which is directly behind the head of my bed, she was crying funny so jump out of bed, pj's, no coat, snowing and raining ice , run through the rabbit barn to the goat barn ( not sure if I had my boots or or not at this point) to find little Billy ( 4 month old nigerian dwarf) down and not moving, both crying pitifully, Baily from concern and Billy from a severely bloated tummy.

Wisk him up , yeah bad back and all, run him inside try to force him to stand , no luck too weak. get on the phone , darn the luck to early for the goat man to be up and motivated , left message, grabbed serynge and forced fulids and nutri drench, ( which I might add he wanted more of the stinker) .
Phone rings its the Goat Man, I explain more not only do we have a severely distended tummy we have a snotty nose and a weepy eye, he is too weak to stand , what to do?
He gives me the number for his vet( he is very particular of vets), I call They can see him as son as I can get there, I explain it could take a while its been snowing ice and yuck for2 days now.
Load up little billy in a carrier seat belt him and myself in and slap the tranny into 4x4 and off we go.
Now I can handle a lot of emergencies but I and the Goat Man knew it was beyond me ,
We get to the Vets and he is uncrated and wisked off for blood work and Sub Q fluids, I sit there and nervously watch the door handle for movement.
about a half hour later the vet comes in ,
Diagnosis , Phneumonia, cocci ( because of the illness) and lice! WHAT! lice I just barely got him?
She explained that sometimes they come home with it and unless you knew what you were looking for you wouldnt know.'Now I have checked both babys over and not a sign of lice before today , I explained this to her and she said where as his fur is so dense it would have taken a miracle for me to find them. they were way far down the hair shaft and she missed it a couple times, so I felt about this much better - NOT. I should have been able to see them.

Little Billy and Bailey are both in the house for the duration He is on a large dose of anti biotics, corid an anti bloat medicine and lice dust which both will be treated along with the corid.

Half way home I remember OH NO! I left Bailey in the pen inside the house un tended. I was having day mares about all the stuff she got into and was already planning a return trip to the vet.
Thankfully when I got home she was Standing on the wood stove looking at me! Thank god the stove was out and not hot, I set the crate with Billy in it down go over swoop her off the stove scold her and put her back in the pen, yep lasted for all about 1 second, she was back up on the stove, ugh move the pen far away from the stove, relight the stove to keep Billy warm ugh. all this before the second cup of coffee and before noon!
I then proceed to do all the morning chores, I am still trying to get morning chores done lol , in the middle of all the drama with Billy I decide to run to Tractor Supply and get a little plastic barn for them to sleep in tonight and later while outside, even though they have ther own little barn to snuggle in.
Billy will get his first injection by me tonight, he is feisty enough to try and bite me the stinker.
Found this out when I tred to put hay and shavings down for him to be comfortable.
now I just went in to start a load of Laundry and hear squeaking , I hae 114 button eggs in the bator and 6 pharoah eggs, 2 buttons have started to zip ! eek no tank set up for them they are not due to hatch till Saturday crimminy crackers, my day is never going to end.

Last edited:
wow that is some wild day.

you know my first kid ever had pneumonia. yup, hits fast, they go down fast, and it takes powerful antiboitics to combat that. My kid did fine also.

remember to give some probotics. all that destroys the good bacteria in their rumen and probotics is a good restore solution.

best of luck on a good recovery!

Yikes what a day
I hope you have some fortified B complex on hand as the corid can deplet it from his system. I give about 1/2 to 1 cc every 3 days to ward of polio in goats. just a little fyi. Congrats in catching it early also.

It saddens me to say Little Billy gave up.
he took his last breath at 11 54 tonight. I am heatbroken , little Bailey is crying for him, I had left him with her for a few minutes so she could say good bye but it was stressing her more that he wouldnt get up, so I removed him.
Thank you allfor your kind words, I am just so sorry I couldnt pull him through this.

earbreaking to say the least.
hit.gif

Ahh, so sorry
yes the respiratory problems that hit kids must be caught very fast and treated very aggressive...while my first kid did fine, I have had this happen to a few other kids.

one thing they do, if you need to notice for the future, is they stand more bowed up .... their back are curvy round and hunched....and acting poorly.....that usually means respiratory problems should be checked fast.

I know, it is sad but things happen and know you did the best you could for them, cause goats are not big fighters to survive actually.

Quote:
Thats whats so very weird, he was showing no signsd of illness what so ever. He was eating drinking and being his normal bratt self and the next morning he was down?

I had him trucked in from another town so I am gong on the assumption that shipping fever is what claimed him,
I cant remember what they give horses goats and cattle before transport.
I need someone to refresh my memory for when I have another baby trucked in .
I DO NOT want a repeat of this ever again.

Poor little Bailey she has been fussing all morning looking for him. matters worse is when her human child went off to school. blah!

Back
Top Bottom