Sick hen maybe coccidosis? Impacted crop??

Pics

Carolrich

Songster
Sep 26, 2016
Kentucky
IMG_0461.JPG
Hello. Remember Beatrice of the egg bound hen thread? Well If you check back on that, you will see that we had a successful outcome. We put her back with the girls on the 26th. On the 27th we noticed her being lethargic, puffed up and hunching, not eating or drinking. I took her to the isolation cage and checked her crop, her abdomen, her vent and found nothing I could discern. I began a treatment of Corid as per dosing instructions on this site. I had to syringe feed the treated water. I was able to get bits of soft egg and softened pellets into her. She is not rallying. Today as I checked her crop area, I noted an enlarged lump more to the center of her breast and definitely not on her right side. I can wiggle it side to side. I thought maybe it was an impacted crop so followed the protocol in and article on this site and gently massaged it upward. I gave her miconizole per instructions on that same page. She is pooping and it looks a little wetter than usual but otherwise normal. I will include a picture of her. However, the lump does not feel in the correct place as her crop should be.
I have to go out and check on my other girls right now so will check back in about 30 to 45 minutes.

Is it possible she is broody? I had a hen that was broody once, but when I put food and water in front of her, she ate it. Beatrice will not voluntarily eat or drink.

Back
Top Bottom