Sick hen maybe coccidosis? Impacted crop??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Carolrich, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Carolrich

Carolrich Songster

Sep 26, 2016
    Kentucky
    IMG_0461.JPG Hello. Remember Beatrice of the egg bound hen thread? Well If you check back on that, you will see that we had a successful outcome. We put her back with the girls on the 26th. On the 27th we noticed her being lethargic, puffed up and hunching, not eating or drinking. I took her to the isolation cage and checked her crop, her abdomen, her vent and found nothing I could discern. I began a treatment of Corid as per dosing instructions on this site. I had to syringe feed the treated water. I was able to get bits of soft egg and softened pellets into her. She is not rallying. Today as I checked her crop area, I noted an enlarged lump more to the center of her breast and definitely not on her right side. I can wiggle it side to side. I thought maybe it was an impacted crop so followed the protocol in and article on this site and gently massaged it upward. I gave her miconizole per instructions on that same page. She is pooping and it looks a little wetter than usual but otherwise normal. I will include a picture of her. However, the lump does not feel in the correct place as her crop should be.
    I have to go out and check on my other girls right now so will check back in about 30 to 45 minutes.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Did you check for another egg?

Wyorp Rock and Brahmachicken240 like this.
  3. Carolrich

Carolrich Songster

Sep 26, 2016
    Kentucky
    No egg:(

4. casportpony

Do you think you would be able to feel the egg if it were shell-less?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. Carolrich

Carolrich Songster

Sep 26, 2016
    Kentucky
    I will go back and try. I did not want to stress her so may not have gone in with my finger far enough. Be back in a few. . .

casportpony likes this.
  6. Carolrich

Carolrich Songster

Sep 26, 2016
    Kentucky
    @casportpony : I checked with my finger in straight and up as far as just past my first knuckle. I have small hands. The area up there is empty.

Brahmachicken240 and casportpony like this.
  7. casportpony

I've had a few act really sick just before laying an egg, so maybe she's just getting ready to lay again. What does her poop look like?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  8. Carolrich

Carolrich Songster

Sep 26, 2016
    Kentucky
    Is it possible she is broody? I had a hen that was broody once, but when I put food and water in front of her, she ate it. Beatrice will not voluntarily eat or drink.

casportpony likes this.
  9. Carolrich

Carolrich Songster

Sep 26, 2016
    Kentucky
    I will take a picture of her poop.

casportpony likes this.
  10. casportpony

She doesn't look broody to me, she looks like she isn't feeling well. :(

ChickenCanoe and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: