Sick hens

Lilyrdcarter

Hatching
Aug 26, 2020
Hey everyone!
This week has been incredibly hard. I had a hen (1 year) pass away suddenly on Sunday and found another hen (6 months) dying in the coop this morning. Both had previously seemed okay. The first one had a slightly pale comb.
I’m at a loss. I took Ginger (pictured below) to the vet on Monday to check that her breathing was good and they were not sharing a communicable respiratory disease, lice, or worms. The vet said she was perfectly healthy so I figured I was in the clear. The vet suggested that the first bird died because her body could not keep up with her egg production.
Now, I have a dying chicken again. I know I can’t save her but I’m concerned for the other chickens. She is laying in a comfortable, private place. Her eyes are shut, she is breathing slowly, and her comb is suddenly super pale.
I keep these girls super clean. Their coop is cleaned bi-weekly and they have 24/7 access to clean food and water. I have two hens who have slightly off-color combs currently. One looks slightly purple toward the back and one looks kind of pale. The flock may be undergoing some stress because I have just combined their sleeping arrangements now that the chicks have turned 6 months. They have all been totally healthy until now.
Do you think that they are sick or am I being paranoid after two unfortunate deaths very close to each other? I can’t afford to keep taking them to the vet and I’m at a loss. Any suggestions would be super helpful, even the suggestion that I am reading into this too much. I just love them so much and want them to be happy and healthy.

Attachments

• A61EF2AF-DE0D-42B6-8159-DEF70917FBFB.jpeg
    A61EF2AF-DE0D-42B6-8159-DEF70917FBFB.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 3
  • 2DC15408-D589-4E34-8F7F-C5CA9FD5BAE0.jpeg
    2DC15408-D589-4E34-8F7F-C5CA9FD5BAE0.jpeg
    761.1 KB · Views: 2
It's really hard to say what might be going on. They could be related, or completely separate causes. I would recommend that if you lose this one that you have her necropsied, then you will know for sure, if it's something communicable or not. There are many possiblilities and the symptoms can sometimes be very similar since the birds hide illness very well.
A list of labs by state in the links below. Refrigerate, don't freeze, the body and contact your state lab for specifics on sending or taking in for necropsy.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom