Sick mini pot belly big

Katlynandmatthew

Hatching
Oct 14, 2017
ok so I have a mini pot belly pig she is about 4 months old I got her and her sister the day they were taken from there momma well this morning we went out to feed and we had lost 1 and the other is not doing good she is just laying around and freezing cold I put her under a heat lamp that we use for baby chicks and a friend of mine told me to give her Gatorade to try and keep her hydrated since she won't eat or drink anything I have been trying that using a saringe but am at a loss of what else to do or what could be wrong my best bet is they got to cold in there new pin we must not have had there shelter blocked off enough for colder weather

How much bedding do they have in their shelter? Having enough straw so they can burrow down in it will help. You may need to set up a heat lamp. You have to warm this pig up before she can eat or drink. For immediate energy you can put some Karo syrup under the tongue. It is glucose and it is utilized by the body without having to be digested first. It wouldn't hurt to put her on a course of penicillin to prevent or treat the likely pneumonia.

I would bring her inside to keep warm, and contact your large animal vet just in case. Any ill animal will benefit from staying warm. Sometimes it's a very simple thing, and sometimes it's serious. I'm paranoid and like the peace of mind of contacting my vet, because you just never know.

Back
Top Bottom