Sick Muscovy

ChristyL13

In the Brooder
May 21, 2020
Hi everyone, I am new here but I have been using this community since I got my four ducklings last year. Here’s my issue, I have a 1 year old Muscovy and for the last 2 weeks she has had a limp. 2 days ago she started to tumble after a couple steps. Now she can’t walk at all. She will still eat (not near as much) and drink. She has lost a good bit of weight over the past 2 weeks. She is still very alert too. Her face mask has also went from red to a pale orange. She’s my baby so any help is appreciated!!!!

I have been using this community since I got my four ducklings last year. Here’s my issue, I have a 1 year old Muscovy and for the last 2 weeks she has had a limp. 2 days ago she started to tumble after a couple steps. Now she can’t walk at all. She will still eat (not near as much) and drink. She has lost a good bit of weight over the past 2 weeks. She is still very alert too. Her face mask has also went from red to a pale orange. She’s my baby so any help is appreciated!!!!

How do her poops look? The first thing that comes to mind is a worm infestation.

It is clearly diarrhea and a pale green to clear. No blood and no visible worms we’ve seen. We have called vets but none will help us bc she’s a duck.

This sounds serious, and I think you best chance of saving her is to find a vet. I know they are expensive, and hard to find, but I do think it would be best. Your other option is to buy a bunch of medications and supplies and treat her yourself.

If she were mine I would treat for worms, bacterial infections, giardia, and coccidiosis.
Drugs needed
  • Baytril
  • Metronidazole
  • Corid
  • Safeguard
I would also tube feed fluids, then fluids and food.
Supplies needed:
  • Tube
  • 60 ml syringe
  • Gatorade or Pedialyte
  • Kaytee Exact baby bird food
Let me know if you need help finding any of the items.

So far I can not find a vet that treats ducks. I am continuing my search today for one. She will drink plenty but we did buy the electrolyte and probiotic mix to add to their water. She won’t really touch her feed but I can get her to eat her peas, watermelon, and eggs. I will go and get the safe guard today and start her on it. Hopefully I can find a vet soon. What kind of safe guard and how much???

So far I can not find a vet that treats ducks. I am continuing my search today for one. She will drink plenty but we did buy the electrolyte and probiotic mix to add to their water. She won’t really touch her feed but I can get her to eat her peas, watermelon, and eggs. I will go and get the safe guard today and start her on it. Hopefully I can find a vet soon. What kind of safe guard and how much???
I know @casportpony didn't say so but I believe Safeguard for goats is what you should get. You'll probably have to get the baytril online at https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Back
Top Bottom