Sick Rhode Island Red

AngryRooster

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 29, 2012
California
My Rhode Island Red seems extremely tired and has a swollen stomach. Her comb is also drooping to the side (it was once straight). She is also much skinnier than before. What can I do to make her better?

Is she still laying? What does her poop look like? Could be a stuck egg (egg bound). That's pretty serious.

I have a RIR who is limping along. There's a thread here about water belly, you could check that out, as well as the egg-bound ones.

How old is your RIR?

More information may help. How old is she, are you saying her abdomen is swollen or her crop? Does she still lay eggs or has she had a history of laying soft shell eggs? If she is older, and her belly is swollen under her vent she may be suffering from ascites or fluid in her abdomen which can occur from liver or heart failure, or from egg yolk peritonitis and internal laying. Do you have a picture?

Is she still laying? What does her poop look like? Could be a stuck egg (egg bound). That's pretty serious.

I have a RIR who is limping along. There's a thread here about water belly, you could check that out, as well as the egg-bound ones.

How old is your RIR?
My RIR hasn't been laying for a while so I don't think she's egg bound. I read online that hens die shortly after becoming egg bound but I'm not sure if this is true or not. Her poop ranges from solid with a little red stuff to diarrhea (liquid only). My RIR is about three years old.

Thanks for the help!

More information may help. How old is she, are you saying her abdomen is swollen or her crop? Does she still lay eggs or has she had a history of laying soft shell eggs? If she is older, and her belly is swollen under her vent she may be suffering from ascites or fluid in her abdomen which can occur from liver or heart failure, or from egg yolk peritonitis and internal laying. Do you have a picture?
As I said above, my RIR is three years old. Both her abdomen and her crop is swollen. She does not lay eggs, though she has lain soft shell eggs a few times (not too many). As for the picture, I'll see if I can get one.

Thanks for the help!

Check her crop first thing in the morning when it should be empty. If it is hard and full, she may have impacted crop, and sour crop if it is full and squishy and she smells sour.

Her crop wasn't swollen. Here's a few pictures of my RIR. Also, if you want to see her as she was before, look at my profile picture.
Thanks again for all the help!

Her tail is still up, so that's a good sign. My hen who (according to the vet) is egg bound is going on about 3 wks. Two of those have been on antibiotics though. It could also be some type of organ failure (my hen, not yours).

I think yours isn't looking bad, although some bad signs obviously. How is her vent looking?

Last edited:
My RIR's vent looked poopy a few days back and she had yogurt all over her face from when I fed my flock some as a treat so I decided to clean her up by giving her a bath then drying her with a towel and hair dryer. It still is slightly poopy but not that much.

Back
Top Bottom