Sick rooster still alive on Monday and is with the vet - Fri. HOME NOW

The vet just called. They've had to change the antibiotic because the first one was not doing as much for him as they had hoped. They have also put him on antifungal shots because there's a fungus in his lungs. Good news is that he's responding to hand feeding, their paste-like substance, and will take it himself once they start it by hand forcing. She says that he has tried to crow, but it's more of a groan. It'll be a few more days, but I'm fairly sure that he's going to make it.

I know baytril works great on bad cases. I wonder if they are putting it in a nebulizer to get it in his lungs faster? I have done that with Tylan50.... gets it to the source quicker. A vet suggested that when my first rooster I had, that got sick. He's still with us... Best Wishes for your roo.. Orp roos tug at your heart. I have a huge black Orp roo - Hercules, just a sweetie.....

chickenzoo, thanks, and you're right; a well-behaved bbs Orpington roosters is like no other.

Quote:
Hi, Qi, I haven't heard from the vet since Wednesday morning, so I'm presuming that he's making progress getting rid of the lung infection and lung fungus. The vet won't send him home until she's 100% sure he's healed and well because like she said, chickens, knowing that they're prey animals, are experts at hiding their suffering/pain so that they won't be selected by a predator as the one to be eaten. She used to send them home thinking/hoping that they were okay, and then they'd die the next day. They're checking his blood, hand feeding him, and taking x-rays every day. I don't want to bring him here until his lungs heal completely and he begins eating/drinking on his own. He's in good hands where he is.

Last edited:
Sounds like they're really spoiling him.
clap.gif
Just saw ur post 1st time today. So glad he's getting better. Are all ur other chicks still doing ok? Saw ur coop set up on ur BYC page. AWESOME! could u do a floorplan? It sounds like Fort Knox .

Friday - 6:15 P.M.
Picked him up about 5 P.M. and brought him home, but he'll have to take two different respiratory and fungus of lung pills for a couple of weeks. Also, he DOES have worms, so I'll have to start that treatment soon, but I'm going to wait at least a week. He sure perked up when he saw his hens and commenced right off dancing for all of them and showing the other rooster that he's still the boss. He crowed, or tried to several times, but it's still sort of weak. He ate a little but I have to watch that he continues to do so increasingly; otherwise, I will have to take him back. He's sure glad to be home.
BTW I asked for a copy of the blood work report because I was going to put it on here in case anyone might need it some day; however, it's all initials, none of which I understand, and numbers that mean nothing to me, so there's no need for them.

Hi Joe! I just wanted to say I'm glad your beloved roo is getting well. Great job caring for him, and yes, I'm sure he's ecstatic to be home with his family and gals! I'm sure they missed him too!

Back
Top Bottom