Sick Rooster with Balance Issues!

Fancy Chiq

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
My Lavender Orpington rooster started loosing his balance 2 days ago, and seems to be getting worse. He's lost weight and limps when he tries to walk fast and almost seems to fall when a hen bumps into him; all my others chickens are not showing any of these symptoms. I've been fighting his watery poo with Wazine 17, but it hasn't gotten any better in months. His tail feathers are also looking disheveled and doesn't seem to be growing new ones back. He's a wonderful boy and if anyone has advice, I'd really appreciate it. If there's anyone with experience like this it'd be helpful. thank you and will be watching for replies.

Have your chickens been vaccinated for Marek's? I hate to jump straight to that, it very well may not be Mareks, but the balance issues are a common sign.

Vitamin deficiencies also can cause balance problems, what kind of diet does your rooster get? Ear problems/infections mess with balance as well.
As for the poop, have your birds been wormed?

I'm hoping it isn't mareks, it could be anything. I've separated him for now.

they were just wormed a week ago with wazine 17. I feed them organic feed and he's been fine. He's a year and a half now.

Well those are about the only suggestions I can offer. Hopefully someone with either new ideas or more knowledge than me will be here to help soon <3

Has he been treated for coccidiosis? They can get weak and fumble around when loaded with cocci. I have a hen with a swollen eye doing this same thing, I asked for help but nobody has answered so she's just been dizzy for four days... I treated her coop for cocci just in case her stress from whatever is swelling her eye causes her to go down with cocci, I hope your boy recovers

I've never needed to vaccinate in my whole 8 years of healthy chickens. The sparrows that've managed to slip in have concerned me, guess i should redo the coop asap. The rooster is about the same now, except he roosted on the ground and his head wobbles slightly. his feet work normally, not limp like mareks. His pupils retract when shown a light. perhaps this info might be useful....

I see this every fall in at least one chicken, don't know what it is, they just get weak and wobbly from not eating, it's not very specific, most recover some I will cull, it doesn't seem to be contagious, and I believe it's brought in by wild sparrows as there are also some sparrows with balance problems flying around, it happens as the wild birds are flocking up, so I'm sure they are exchanging diseases, I don't treat, I cull if they don't seem to improve. Not much help, sorry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom