Sick SLW- 7 months old- nothing is helping

Make sure all your birds are dewormed.

It could be respiratory.

Check her for gape worm and make sure her crop is flat in the morning. Even though she isn't laying yet, check her anyway for egg bound. Rule it all out. You can use a q-tip to go into her throat, if there is worms, you will see them on the q-tip.

Can you post a video. If your feeling maybe a reaction, stop the meds and see how she is doing over a few days.

When my birds died, they would breath with an open and closed mouth towards the end. Although it doesn't sound like that is going on.

The spots on her legs is puzzling.

I had good results with Sulfadimethoxine for enteritis.
I looked for everything under the moon today at the farm store. Unfortunately, all they had was injectable Penicillin and Oxtetracyclin. They were out of everything else. They said next shipment of restock items wasn't until Thursday and I cannot wait that long.

Make sure all your birds are dewormed.

It could be respiratory.

Check her for gape worm and make sure her crop is flat in the morning. Even though she isn't laying yet, check her anyway for egg bound. Rule it all out. You can use a q-tip to go into her throat, if there is worms, you will see them on the q-tip.

Can you post a video. If your feeling maybe a reaction, stop the meds and see how she is doing over a few days.

When my birds died, they would breath with an open and closed mouth towards the end. Although it doesn't sound like that is going on.

The spots on her legs is puzzling.
I just wormed all of my girls last week, Velma included right before she got sick. I did check her for egg bound (just in case) and everything felt normal although I do not know exactly what I am feeling for. I didn't feel any lumps or bumps that shouldn't be there... I have suspected liver failure, but I cannot be certain... I will do the q-tip thing in the morning after she has rested tonight. Thank you pwand for the advise, quick tips, and taking time out to read about my little Velma!

What kind of dewormer did you use?
Wazine. I now know it's not the best and I do plan on getting a different kind that treats more kinds of worms. I am still doing research on this. I am just not sure which kind to get... Maybe I should go check her now with the q-tip this has me worried...

Will do! I just did the q-tip shove down the throat and nothing on it but green-yellowish mucus. Which tells me that something respiratory could be going on... Geeze, I would love to figure this one out. Will the Penicillin work for respiratory issues? I do have Tylan 50 too, but I don't think I should do both injectables at the same time.

Ok, my backyard chicken lovers I've got another mystery about Velma... Through out the day she seemed to be a little better. I took her outside to sun bathe and she loved it. Here's the mysterious part... She has started making weird noises with her mouth closed. I can only describe it as the noise that is made while sucking air through a straw, but a little more high pitched. I thought wowa what was that? She's been doing that for the better part of this evening. She is now only keeping one eye closed not both. Which I found to be a little off. The skin around the eye that she is keeping closed is a little swollen as well. Another weird thing too... The side of her head that the swollen/closed eye is the only side that is still pale looking. She is not sneezing or sounding gurgly at all. The skin on that side has turned from yellow to white. I do not think this is normal either. However the other side of her face is normal looking. Pink color has returned and is looking better from yesterday. Could this be a respiratory thing? Oh, She has also started opening her mouth as if she were yawning then she will close it shut again. So I smelled her breath and it smelled fine and I looked in and around in her mouth to see if there was something going on and it all looks normal. She is also opening and closing her mouth really fast as if she were drinking up water or eating some bits of food but she is not eating or drinking at that moment. She has also started twitching at times, however it is not constant; also not sure about this. Could it be a little reaction to the antibiotic? Does anyone know what is going on with my Velma? Any and all advice is needed!
Not to scare you, but some infections like E. coli, can infect the whole body. It is a normal bacteria present in all chickens, but it gets out of whack, and when resistance is low from something like coccidiosis, it can travel to air sacs spreading throughout all of the organs--the sinuses, the bones, the liver, everywhere. I'm not a vet, and I don't know a lot about these infections, but I think I might get her tested by the state veterinary poultry school for E.coli and c.perfringens. If you can't, then if she dies, I would try to get a necropsy done. There is a drug called Neomycin or NeoMed325 that treats E.coli and C.perfringens. Your farm store may have it, but I'm sure you can get it online. As I said before chickens cam get multiple diseases at the same time. Since she has some eye swelling now, it may be E.coli or mycoplasma. If you have a good vet or avian vet that you could consult, or call the state vet school, I would. I hope she starts to get better, but this is getting over my head a bit.

Will do! I just did the q-tip shove down the throat and nothing on it but green-yellowish mucus. Which tells me that something respiratory could be going on... Geeze, I would love to figure this one out. Will the Penicillin work for respiratory issues? I do have Tylan 50 too, but I don't think I should do both injectables at the same time.  
I have been reading all evening online about what drugs treat enteritis best, and there are so many studies that talk about this drug working or not doing so well, but no one says what is best. Tylan is one that can be used on respiratory as well as enteritis, according to some studies on C.perfringens in enteritis. That actually might be good to use.

I will call first thing in the morning. There are not vets around where I live that treat poultry. Sad, but true. But, I looked up the state vet's info and we'll see what they can do for her. Thank you all and I will keep you all updated as to what the state vet says. Hopefully we can get this figured out sooner rather than later!

Back
Top Bottom