Sick Speckled Sussexes

ericarica21

Hatching
Oct 16, 2017
Hello, everyone!
I joined this site because I'm seeking advice on what to do about our sick Speckled Sussex hen Loretta. For the past couple weeks she has been lethargic, standing in penguin stance in one spot for long periods of time, feathers puffed up with her tail drooping. She is however, still eating and drinking. She's about three years old and I've never seen her acting this way before. I'm particularly worried about her because our other Speckled Sussex, Tammy, recently passed away after exhibiting similar behavior for about a month. Tammy was the same age as Loretta, she was a chicken that always had some sort of problem. She would get eggbound a lot, and was always skinnier than our other girls, so when she died I figured her health problems had just caught up to her. Loretta however has always been seemingly healthy so it worries me that she is now acting like Tammy did just when she was nearing the end of her life. The two of them were buddies and spent a lot of time together, so it would make sense if Loretta caught whatever Tammy had, but since they were both Speckeld Sussexes of the same age, I was wondering if there are any genetic issues their breed might be predisposed to. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with whatever is wrong with her, but Loretta has also started limping in the past few days, although nothing appears to be wrong with her foot. She also appears to be molting, but I also noticed some blood on the area right underneath her tail feathers so she might be pulling her feathers out herself? I'd hate to lose another hen so quickly and would appreciate any input on what may be wrong with her and how I can get her feeling better.

Gosh, penguin stance is usually not a good sign - it could mean egg yolk peritonitis, or internal laying - the reproductive system goes off and yolks end up in the body cavity, where infections start. Sometimes these impact the leg muscles, causing limping. Certain antibiotics might quell the immediate infection, but the longterm situation remains... This happened to my wyandotte.

You could look for speckledhen's postings - she was one of the first to post about her experiences with EYP. Would guess she had that breed.

However, others may have more helpful views of the situation.

Back
Top Bottom