silkie hen paralyzed???

It is a vitamin, mineral, iron, selenium supplement. It has been reccommended by many top silkie breeders as a great supplement. Here is some info on it.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/pdfs/products/RedCellEngineered.pdf

And an article from the ASBC by Deb Steinberg on what she feeds her show silkies...

"Silkie Feed Blend by Deb Steinberg

We blend our own feed for our adult silkies and feed it year-round. Our chicks are fed a commercial medicated chick starter for the first 2 months, supplemented with grated carrots, hard cooked chopped eggs, greens, and an occasional yogurt-grain mixture when they get a little older. Our feed blend starts with a 20% protein commercial poultry feed. Since Purina is available in our area, we use Purina Gamebird Layena, which does not contain the marigold oil supplement that can affect white feathers. In a 5 gallon bucket, fill approximately 3/4 full with base feed and add:

1 cup crimped oats
1 cup crimped barley
1 cup wheat
1/2 cup safflower seeds
3/4 cup sunflower chips
1/2 cup flax seeds
1 scoop Manna Pro Sho-Glo
1 heaping tablespoon Brewer’s Yeast & Garlic Powder Mix
together well, and add:
1/2 cup wheat germ oil blend or vegetable oil
1/4 cup Red Cell

Mix together very well to distribute oil and red cell evenly. The birds also get chopped eggs and grated carrots once a week, greens like kale, collard greens, romaine lettuce as they are available, leftover tomatoes, or any fruit that is starting to go bad. In the summer, they absolutely love watermelon! I cut most of the red part off the rinds and put it in containers for the family, and feed the rinds to the silkies. Twice a month, we feed a yogurt grain mixture that the birds
love and that contains the good gut bacteria necessary for good digestion and health.

Since we have a lot of birds to feed, this is my recipe, but you can adjust it for your number of birds. 1 gallon bucket containing equal amounts of crimped oats, crimped barley and wheat 1/2 quart plain yogurt (with active cultures) 1 quart buttermilk Mix together, add a little water if necessary, and refrigerate overnight. Feed the next morning, after grain has absorbed buttermilk and yogurt."

i'm not sure exactly how old she is as i bought her at a sale last April.i would say she is at least 11/2 years old
i am going to look into Marek's disease
caf.gif

What are you doing for her? could she have fallen off the perch, I had heard that Silkies don't perch. Hit her head? just throwing questions out there.

she has a wooden box lined with straw and she sleeps in there. sometimes she perches on the side of it but it is not even 1/2 foot off the floor.
it all started with a slight limp that got progressively worse. i brought her in the house when she started dragging her right leg behind her and even when she laid down it was straight back behind her. she could still grip my finger with her toes and i could not feel any difference in her legs... i have given her vitamins
now neither leg works and she can't grip my fingers with any toes.
she is alert and eats and drinks well. i am not very hopeful for a recovery but she is getting spoiled.. she sleeps on a towel on the dog's bed and gets grapes cut in half for her and lots of attention.
thankyou for your concern
i will keep updating if there are changes
hugs.gif

did you see the post about the other Silkie that was having problems? Seems they can get a peck in the head and it can cause nerological [sp] problems. Sounds like she has it pretty good and still hope you see recovery, Matter of fack the person who replied about this other post said sometimes it can take 4to6 weeks. So hang in there. ...
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom