Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

My Christmas hatch! 15 healthy little fuzzbutts!

Spangled Russian Orloff

Spangled Russian Orloff

Spangled Russian Orloff

Spangled Russian Orloff

Spangled Russian Orloff

Spangled Russian Orloff

Sizzle/Silkie

Sizzle/Silkie

Sizzle/Silkie

Sizzle/Silkie

Naked neck Sizzle/Silkie

Ameraucana/Silkie

Naked neck Ameraucana/Silkie

Naked Neck Ameraucana/Silkie

Sizzle/Spangled Russian Orloff

Hi all. This is my first time at this have a couple questions. I have a silkie hen went broody Saturday. She is with a silkie rooster and her eggs are fertile. She has been sitting 2 eggs. I have candled them and there is development. Yesterday I found her off the eggs and not sure for how long, I had been gone. They still look ok. This is the fourth day. Will these eggs be alright? I moved her inside to a large dog crate so the temp was around 60 degrees. Thanks for any help.

Hi all. This is my first time at this have a couple questions. I have a silkie hen went broody Saturday. She is with a silkie rooster and her eggs are fertile. She has been sitting 2 eggs. I have candled them and there is development. Yesterday I found her off the eggs and not sure for how long, I had been gone. They still look ok. This is the fourth day. Will these eggs be alright? I moved her inside to a large dog crate so the temp was around 60 degrees. Thanks for any help.
She will leave the eggs for a half hour or so at a time to eat/drink/poop. They should be fine =)

Ok. That's what I've read. This appeared to be a case of her getting up but she had settled back down in a different spot with the eggs no under her. I'm leaving her alone and will check the eggs in a few days!

Ok. That's what I've read. This appeared to be a case of her getting up but she had settled back down in a different spot with the eggs no under her. I'm leaving her alone and will check the eggs in a few days!
I have checked the eggs, still signs of development. This is day four!

My hatch has begun. Put 18 eggs in lockdown yesterday. Hatch date is Saturday/Sunday but I came home from work tonight to find a new baby silkie in the incubator. A real early bird! Phew! Looks like I put them in lockdown just in time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First baby out is blue, vaulted skull, perfect toe separation, heavily feathered feet, and a nice big poof on its head already! I've got one other egg pipped.

I have checked my eggs (I set a new batch) and they are on day 6. I dont see any development either. WHen should I start seeing veining??

By day 6 you should see veins and possibly a dark "blob" -which is the tiny embryo with an eye.

Also, by Day 6 you can usually see a definite difference between a clear (infertile) egg and adeveloping one.

Good luck with your candling and if you aren't positive about what you are seeing, wait a couple days & make sure your light is bright enough.

Back
Top Bottom