Silkie in Water Trough

Chrisandheather

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2018
We found our Silkie in the horse water trough tonight. Not sure how long she had been in there; long enough she had an egg though. I don't have a hair dryer, so we are trying to warm her up/dry her off with towels and a heater in our bathroom.
The most concerning thing is it looks like she has a pocket of air or water or something.
Without a hair dryer what is the best process we can go through, and any ideas on the "air pocket"?
20180827_230123.jpg
(The spot starts about where the fingers are pulling the feathers back and goes to down where the other hand/fingers are.)
20180827_231705.jpg

We found our Silkie in the horse water trough tonight. Not sure how long she had been in there; long enough she had an egg though. I don't have a hair dryer, so we are trying to warm her up/dry her off with towels and a heater in our bathroom.
The most concerning thing is it looks like she has a pocket of air or water or something.
Without a hair dryer what is the best process we can go through, and any ideas on the "air pocket"? View attachment 1517617(The spot starts about where the fingers are pulling the feathers back and goes to down where the other hand/fingers are.)
View attachment 1517615
Was the water deep enough to have possibly slightly drowned her?

The air poscket is likely a leaking air sac, also known as subcutaneous emphysema. Is there any crackling when you touch it or is she having any clicking sounds with breathing? How is she doing at this time—alert, lethargic, labored breathing, or gasping? A leaking air sac can be left alone to be absorbed on it’s own if there is no distress, but if she is having trouble breathing, you can puncture the skin with a sterile needle to press out the air under the skin. If there is fluid in the air sac, she probably needs antibiotics. If a vet is possible, I would recommend that you see one right away. Here is some reading about leaking air sacs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/deflating-subcutaneous-emphysema.171121/

http://ijasvm.com/ijasvmadmin/upload/IJASVM_5113cbc51d31b.pdf

Back
Top Bottom