Silkie saga

How many silkies do you own? And how many new pics do you have? 🤔 😆
I think around 26 silkies? And I'm setting more silkie eggs next Friday or Saturday 😬 and probably more late February :oops: but, I have to hatch a bunch to select my breeding stock to start my silkie breeding dreams 😊 I have to get the colors and type that I really want... I'm getting chocolate, black and paint hatching eggs to add next week, I'm hoping to get some good lines to start a chocolate breeding pen, black / paint, and I still am needing more BBS... gotta hatch them, grow them out, pick my faves, and repeat 😁

I think around 26 silkies? And I'm setting more silkie eggs next Friday or Saturday 😬 and probably more late February :oops: but, I have to hatch a bunch to select my breeding stock to start my silkie breeding dreams 😊 I have to get the colors and type that I really want... I'm getting chocolate, black and paint hatching eggs to add next week, I'm hoping to get some good lines to start a chocolate breeding pen, black / paint, and I still am needing more BBS... gotta hatch them, grow them out, pick my faves, and repeat 😁
Is there a such thing as a chocolate paint or chocolate splash? What are different color variations you can get in chickens? Or as my 2 year old says..."bawk bawks"

And see?! 26! Look at you. Shame! 😆 😜 Care to share some more photos? I need one of the baby in my profile pic too. I forget who that is. Since they lit the firework so splendidly causing 16 eggs to go pop.

Is there a such thing as a chocolate paint or chocolate splash? What are different color variations you can get in chickens? Or as my 2 year old says..."bawk bawks"
YES! Chocolate paint AND chocolate splash are possible. Now don't follow it up with "how do you get them" lol. I saw the color crossing chart recently but skimmed over that as I was just looking for plain old solid chocolate 😊 in fact, I think the breeder I'm getting eggs from bext week has a chocolate paint hen in her chocolate pen.

Bawk bawks of the silkie variety come in SOP colors like blue, black, splash, white, buff, and partridge. Then they come in all sorts of other colors that are not accepted as breed standards but are so unique, cuckoo (I've seen black, blue, and chocolate), paint (black and chocolate), mauve, mauve splash, blue cream, lavender (ooh, there's a breeder in NC if you need some of these!!! They're pretty!) red, grey, mottled, blue partridge, calico... it makes chicken math really hard to control!

YES! Chocolate paint AND chocolate splash are possible. Now don't follow it up with "how do you get them" lol. I saw the color crossing chart recently but skimmed over that as I was just looking for plain old solid chocolate 😊 in fact, I think the breeder I'm getting eggs from bext week has a chocolate paint hen in her chocolate pen.

Bawk bawks of the silkie variety come in SOP colors like blue, black, splash, white, buff, and partridge. Then they come in all sorts of other colors that are not accepted as breed standards but are so unique, cuckoo (I've seen black, blue, and chocolate), paint (black and chocolate), mauve, mauve splash, blue cream, lavender (ooh, there's a breeder in NC if you need some of these!!! They're pretty!) red, grey, mottled, blue partridge, calico... it makes chicken math really hard to control!
So I need one of every color then? Poor hubs. He just doesn't know what he got himself into. Apparently I need to collect not only breeds but colors 🤷🏼‍♀️😂 Chickemon gotta own em all!

And see?! 26! Look at you. Shame! 😆 😜 Care to share some more photos? I need one of the baby in my profile pic too. I forget who that is. Since they lit the firework so splendidly causing 16 eggs to go pop.
That is Storm, he has grown into a beautiful cockerel too, I think he is my highest quality satin, and he's a beautiful blue. I'm hoping to hatch some eggs from him crossed with my chocolate pullet. I won't get chocolates from the cross (blue pullets and blue split to chocolate cockerels) but these are my two best looking silkies that I hatched last year 😊

I don't have many fresh pictures, it's been cold and dreary...

Here's Mistletoes my indoor 10wk old splash cockerel
20240113_135251.jpg

Jayne, I love the extra dark splashes in its tail, hoping it's a girl, but I have my doubts...
20240113_135255.jpg

Sugar Cookie, with a mop like this at 10 weeks I'm hoping it means this is a girl!
20240113_135259.jpg

And Hungry Jaq, my ravenous little one who has an appetite as big as a large dog.
20240113_135319.jpg

So I need one of every color then? Poor hubs. He just doesn't know what he got himself into. Apparently I need to collect not only breeds but colors 🤷🏼‍♀️😂 Chickemon gotta own em all!
You are spot on! You know what they say, when you find something you like, get it in every color... lol!

I'm trying to stay with just BBS and chocolate, I might cross a few chocolates to get some mauves, I recently decided why not also have a paint / black pen...

That is Storm, he has grown into a beautiful cockerel too, I think he is my highest quality satin, and he's a beautiful blue. I'm hoping to hatch some eggs from him crossed with my chocolate pullet. I won't get chocolates from the cross (blue pullets and blue split to chocolate cockerels) but these are my two best looking silkies that I hatched last year 😊

I don't have many fresh pictures, it's been cold and dreary...

Here's Mistletoes my indoor 10wk old splash cockerel
View attachment 3727335

Jayne, I love the extra dark splashes in its tail, hoping it's a girl, but I have my doubts...
View attachment 3727336

Sugar Cookie, with a mop like this at 10 weeks I'm hoping it means this is a girl!
View attachment 3727337

And Hungry Jaq, my ravenous little one who has an appetite as big as a large dog.
View attachment 3727338
Cuteness overload! :love

I got everyone locked in for the night, the temperature has been steadily falling, it's down to 18, 14 deg left to drop 🥶 the silkies are bedding down under the heat lamp and thankfully the wind isn't really blowing, just a slight breeze, which is more than plenty! I had to carry buckets of water for the horse and the residual water on my gloves was freezing to the gate when I was opening it. Brr!

Back
Top Bottom